Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:20 pm

Well done mate, reading your threads and reports is slowly converting me into a lure angler more and more each day. Fantastic stuff. Keep up the good work.!

Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:21 am

Think this must be one of the best posts I have seen in a long time... keep it coming 8) 8) 8) . Think I may be geting the bug for soft baits :wink:

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Great reading Joe & something I am very interested in doing more of myself.

I have been using small tube jigs for perch in freshwater this year & my catch rates have sky rocketed - I have caught 50 - 60 perch over the course of a few hours.

Have you ever heard of 'Flying lures'?
http://www.flyinglure.com/

There was a TV campaign running here a few years ago & they were sold as a package. The idea is that the lure swims away from you when you cast.

I bought some & have had good success with pike on the larger ones - in fact any pike I have spotted & cast one to has taken the lure though they don't fish well with a wire trace.

I've yet to use them in the sea as I don't really get out fishing in the salt more than a few times a year but I imagine they would be excellent.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:36 pm

Great reading Joe & something I am very interested in doing more of myself.

I have been using small tube jigs for perch in freshwater this year & my catch rates have sky rocketed - I have caught 50 - 60 perch over the course of a few hours.

Have you ever heard of 'Flying lures'?
http://www.flyinglure.com/

There was a TV campaign running here a few years ago & they were sold as a package. The idea is that the lure swims away from you when you cast.

I bought some & have had good success with pike on the larger ones - in fact any pike I have spotted & cast one to has taken the lure though they don't fish well with a wire trace.

I've yet to use them in the sea as I don't really get out fishing in the salt more than a few times a year but I imagine they would be excellent.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:12 pm

Thanks guys...

2poc,
Yeah i've heard of them too.A long time ago....i think in 1992 we have this TV show back home called smart shop...one of the campaign on that time was this flying lure and the crap telescopic rods....my uncle end up buying them both...we end up catching no fish as theres not much experience of using it and during that time theres still lack of specific gear for this kind of fishing...

As far as i am concern....plastic lure have been around for a long time....but dont make it well due to the skeptical view from most angler worldwide.They re more popular in Large Mouth Bass fishing scene.Most of them are developed in the LMB tournament circuit wch are popular in States,Japan and even now in spain and france if i am not mistaken.Its then adopt by saltwater angler and slowly make their way on SW scene worldwide for the past few years.Make a boom in australia for the past few years taking on most salwater fish like bream,barramundi,flathead,mulloway and even an offshore snapper.

Most of them are depend to the angler to impart the action.Not like most other lure wch u just have to crank it and have their own inbuild action.U have to fish them slowly and should have an imagination on how its work in the water....twitch...jerk....let it fall....
They wont make sure that u will catch fish.Its just they re one of the versatile and fun type of bait to be use.If you like to do experiment and have some fun,i highly recommend them.Like other kind of lure the key to success is persistent and fish hard then u will learn the secrets of it.

Soft

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:19 pm

Joe fair play! I have had some success with these type of soft plastics this year! I find that under certain conditions bass will look at very little else for me! like you say it takes some imagination to fish this type of lure, personally I have found them to be very effective when bumped along the bottom and twitched, I think the puffs of sand sent up may well look like small flat fish a staple of the estuary bass diet. I have found that if they are fished in a current cast up stream and stay in touch as the lead head bumps along the bottom, hold on tight as when the bass hit it they reallt hammer the thing, really fun fishing! some of these plastics contain a glass rattle and personally I think this tiny implant is having a far greater effect then you might think. Cheers for the new rigging methods and I will keep you posted as to my level of success! I have seen these lures used to devistating effect.

Pat G

rattles ?

Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:11 pm

like these P ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rattle

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:53 pm

Those are the ones jim! Small I feel but deadly! The plastics seem to be working now that it has got cold! I will be out hopefully tomorrow with the big tide, just for a couple of hours as I am back in work sunday morning, but I wont leave home with out them that's for sure, it pays to look around and see what is new and working for guys else where in the world and we all know it is often the attention to detail that pays off with this type of lure fishing! Although at this stage im not sure who is more hooked me or the fish!!

Pat G

Plastics

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:59 pm

While we are on the subject and it may also belong to another thread but I sourced some plastics that I intend to try for sea trout on light tackle you described earlier, some are not much longer than an inch in the same size range as the micro lures and have a lovely swimming action with the right jig head I feel they would be daedly. It would certainly be worth inserting glass rattle to see if it alters the effectivness of the lure although given the sive it might effect the apperance and action but I will check it out. Oh god let the winter be short and sweet!

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:29 am

Thanks padge.....
others than rattle....theres a special glass bead that can be use....usually put in between the tungsten/brass bullet sinker and the hook+lure rigging texas.The sinker will keep on banging on the glass bead on the jerk producing hi pitch clacking sound to attract fish.Btw....i am more comfortable with the insert rattle chamber like photo above.Hopefully u got a nice result on your trial padge....cheeerrsss...

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:20 pm

A few nice video on softies....
http://www.pecheaubar.com/rubrique.php?rubrique=1590
http://www.pecheaubar.com/rubrique.php?rubrique=1671
http://www.pecheaubar.com/rubrique.php?rubrique=1663

Softies

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:38 pm

Joe the more I see em the more I like em! I just got some new stuff in from spain, in one the clips the guy is using one of the softies I have had great success with for bass I really think they have a great action in the water. They surely are very popular with anglers on the continent.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:10 am

Joe those videos are cool I like the setup they are using nice light rod and small fixed spool looks really easy to fish with.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:22 am

Thanks for the feedback jack, and padge....u re lucky that ur place is one of the best basss county in eire....u can easily try to experiment and have a good result....or at least try and nearly sure with the result on particular lure on what works and what not.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aGc7T86XGWo&mode=related&search=

Gonna have to get my hands on them and give them a go....i think both head with a rattle chamber in softies gonna make a perfect combination of fish calling lure....cheeerrrsss....

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:27 am

Jack....i am not sure bout the rods...its look like a JDM....but the reels if not mistaken are Daiwa certate....nice reel with a nice price too....love their set up too....look light but still capable of bringing fish in....btw they re from boat....just afraid of a nice pollack grab the lure....they dont last long but the first run of a nice size pollack can lead to frustration specially in rough ground....

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Wouldnt mind trying some of that type of fishing in the boat this summer, have to get me a proper rod first. Id say it would be interesting if you got a decnet pollack on that rod not much you could do for the first run.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:24 pm

Gonna give this setup a shot for pike this weekend, I simply put the hook on a drop loop in normal pike trace that I snipped the snap swivel off of, I left the swivel on the other end and I'll put that to a short length of mono before I connect that to the braid.

One of them I've tied with two weights on for a bit more, I can redo them when I'm there if I need to.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:03 pm

No joy with those lures at the weekend, but it was a bit cold for lure fishing for pike, the brother had his few roach etc, so there were a few fish about.
I was trying out my new rod too which is a Jaxon Jerk 195/80, basically 1.95 metres and it's rated to lures up to 80g, the jerk baits are pretty large in general.
I tried rigging softies and a few others, was a good learning experience and it's great to be able to feel the bottom when using those softies.

Still to try the rig at sea, but it should work out fine, just need a smaller reel now than the one I have and it'll be set.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:20 pm

A terminal tackle that i found on HIRO rack on the local tackle shop.
Usually the slip swivel is one unit with the drop shot weight so that the weight can be just threaded and slip to the line,in case of snag,with a few extra force,the line will slip off the weight.
Ordinary dropshot weight.
The HIRO slip swivel can be tied at the end of dropshot rig.
Other alternative is to connect the slip swivel to the weight using split ring to make it as 1 unit and just slip end of the dropshot rig..

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:13 am

Another alternative rigging for stick bait with off-set worm hook. Make life a lot easier fishing in kelp jungle.
The weight can slide up and down on the wide gape hook shank and will varies the action of the bait when twitch and on the fall.
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/rapalajoe/?action=view&current=MVI_0929.flv
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/rapalajoe/?action=view&current=MVI_0930.flv
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l6/rapalajoe/?action=view&current=MVI_0931.flv