Kayaks

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Kayaks

Postby barramundi » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:03 am

Do any of you guys use Kayaks to fish? I am now a fully paid up member of the yak believers. Especaily on estuarys

I have yet to bring the yaks over to Eire but may well bring them next time. Its always safer and more fun to paddle in company so it would be great to meet up with any yakking members

I tend to head down towards Kerry and have fished Cork a few times but quite fancy a few east coast sessions sometime.

OZ

[img]http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/images/helford-river800.jpg[/img]
barramundi
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

My veiw on Kayaks

Postby jg » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:06 pm

Am I the only angler in the UK who believes they are dangerous. I'm sure the lifeboat service for one see this section of our sport as potentially dangerous.Perhaps someone out there can put my mind at ease.
jg
SAI Bait Ball

Postby x » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:39 pm

I don't know about it being any more dangerous than most other forms of fishing. Wading, rockhopping all carry their dangers too. At least the guys in the kayaks almost to a man/woman/whatever wear some sort of flotation device and go out in numbers. How many rockhoppers wear a lifejacket and go in numbers?
x

Postby barramundi » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:31 pm

Does the above picture look dangerous? Its a sheltered estuary . Horses for courses. Choose you location in relation to the weather and tides and your own ability. Take the correct saftey equipment. And know your limits.

I found standing in Galway Weir last week far more threatening than sheltered kayak fishing. There will no doubt be the odd idiot around who may fall astray,call it natural selection :wink:

Float tubeing is a new thing and strikes me as rather strange - fishing from kayaks or canoes goes back thousands of years ??
http://uksaltwaterflies.blogspot.com/
barramundi
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:23 am

I'm with Barramundi on this. My kayak isn't rigged for fishing (yet) but I have used it quite a bit to find new fishing spots - especially good are sheltered estuaries where there is only 1-2 ft of water when flooded but there can be deep drop offs on say a river bed so wading is not really an option and also where the holding areas for fish around the river/stream mouth or in a pool are inaccessible from land due to the marshy area surrounding it. I have a sot which is light and easy to pull up on land.
I have been out on the lakes in east Clare on it and I think it would be a great way to fish there. I presume they would be good for shallow reefs but I haven't tried it. I think if I was going a mile or two off shore then I would take the boat instead.
As he says commonsense, the right safety equipment and knowing your limits are important but I think it is a great way to get out on the water without making a huge investment.
Woody
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Alan_Cogan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:51 pm

Actually bought pedal driven kayak about month ago . only managed to get out twice so far. fascinating. went out from ringaskiddy..first time out..coal fish and sea trout on FLY. and cousin nailed a bass bout 6-7lb problem was we had no net of course so after about 15mins paddling to shore,,,just as gettting there fish fell off..ouch. great fun..cork harbour is made for it !

as stated dont dream about going out without some sort of flotation device good link here ..these guys are nutters !!

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/inde ... owforum=26
Alan_Cogan

Postby SeanP » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:52 am

Alan_Cogan wrote:these guys are nutters !!

Definitely, read this report from the same forum the other week and could not believe it, set off in the dark and ran aground :shock: each to there own i suppose, [url]http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=68827[/url]
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Postby barramundi » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:55 pm

Just thought Id share this pic . Bang on 7 LB orange and Black clouser
7 # rod
600 yds offshore on the yak this summer

First bass that ever took 100 feet of line from me. They tend to sulk and headshake (bit like women I guess!)

Yakking saved me from a bad year this year

[img]http://static.flickr.com/112/270406511_4abde1fda2_o.jpg[/img]
http://uksaltwaterflies.blogspot.com/
barramundi
SAI Lug Worm

Postby x » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:55 am

If we were running a 'best picture' competition, I think that one might just clinch it....
x

Postby Woody » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:45 am

Wow!!!! Great photo. That's a mighty angry looking bass.
Woody
SAI Bait Ball

Postby SeanP » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:11 pm

Perfection, well done!
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Postby petekd » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:13 pm

Kayak, sea, flyrod, bass.....Thats Pure Fishing if ever I saw it. Inspiratonal picture, well done.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby richard » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:48 pm

See Bic have a Kayak for fishing,was thinking of getting a kayak for the craic anyway but with the fishing option.....why not
http://www.bicsportkayaks.com/kayaks/in ... ng&lang=us
richard

Postby MAC » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:12 pm

I was think ing about the Yak for some time before I bought the Portabote. There seems to be very few people yaking over here and I didn't like the idea of going out on my own. The 12 foot Portabote can fish 2 or 3 on a calm day and I can potter around on my 5hp engine. I bought it with inshore Bass in mind as well.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/mcclean2k/Bass/16_170706/DSC_2983.jpg[/img]

The Bro in Law with one caught 200 meters off the shore in Waterford last year.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby richard » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:07 pm

That was or is 1 of my concerns going out on my own but only planning to use it just of shore and for exercise plus it would be great for some of the small trout lakes in the west where there are plenty of small fish for some great sport
richard

Postby jack01986 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:07 am

Theres another good use for your boat Kev! :D
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby MAC » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:12 am

That will be the main use for the boat this year Jack...... :wink: Going to start chasing them on the fly as well.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby richard » Thu May 10, 2007 3:53 pm

took the plunge and bought the bic fishing kayak so now i have to get out
just waiting for the wind to bog off
would like to try the fly any suggestions of any spots for macks away from headbangers with feathers
richard

Postby MAC » Thu May 10, 2007 5:33 pm

I don't know any spots away from the headbangers.... I am waiting for the wind to blow off and hopefully after that there will be a few knocking around Howth. The good thing about the yak, is that you can get a few hundred yards out and try for them on the fly. That way you will be well out of range of the mack bashers. You can also work your way all around Howth as well. Give me a shot, when your thinking of heading out and maybe I'll dust off the portabote as well.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby jack01986 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:58 pm

If you paddled out to Irelands eye you could probably pick some mackeral up there and maybe some pollack as well. Around this time last year we caught some mackeral right at the back of the island. might want to wait for the better weather totry out there.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Next

Return to Yaks Attack!