Does it count

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Does it count

Postby anthony byrne » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:54 pm

After a phone call from Graham Smith during the week it turned out we would have a small break in the weather this weekend and it was possible to try for Tope. So Friday night I hit the road and headed to Donegal, as I was late leaving Dublin I didnt arrive until near 12 where I was greeted by Fergal who was all set for the evening. A quick chat and we caught a few hours sleep. The plan was myself and Fergal would stock up on some fresh bait and then drive another 30 minutes to the launch for the Tope. No hanging around after we got a few Coalies we loaded up and got driving.
Graham was to join us on the water later on so using the GPS I set about finding the mark I fished last year but silly me judged it wrong, any way didnt end up too bad as Fergal hammered a beauty in a matter of minutes!!!! I was clocking up a few species but no Tope just yet. After this I drifted further down the channel to catch up with Graham who had been there for awhile but I hadnt seen him. As we sat chatting like old ladies all I heard was SH!T, f%CK, BO"!OX and then some broken english that sounded like FLY, TOPE, ROD. After some translation it turned out he had a dropped take on the fly rod .........
So theres me sitting with two rods baited for the tope and I decide to drop some feathers with 1 inch rag to try entice some Dabs or Whiting when I heard the reel starting to scream but sure enough it was the wrong reel!!!!! Three rods out and the dam thing hit the 1 inch rag.
Ill let the video below show you the rest............. (NOT FOR LITTLE EARS)+(DISCARD THE TYPOS I GOT EXCITED)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4q_i3SDl3aE
After fishing for a good 5 hours we called it a day and headed back to Grahams where once again we were fed and watered (Thanks Pal). From there I set about hitting the midlands as the weather wouldnt allow for us to do another coastal session
Ice creams all the way with the fire pit keeping me warm. It literally rained all night until about 5.30 am, quickly up and got paddling but the water clarity was shocking. 4 hours fishing and not a tap! Spent more time resting the head, the breeze was starting to kick up at this stage and I called it a day. A Craicing weekend full of fish, laughs and of course crappy weather. Where to next time .......
Tight Lines
Anto
http://anthonybyrnekayakangler.blogspot.ie
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)

For this message the author anthony byrne has received thanks: 3
joeflan35 (Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:30 pm), lucky13 (Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:59 pm), Sweetwrasse (Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:40 am)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 147 times

Re: Does it count

Postby SeanA101080 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:14 am

You did touch the leader Anthony[WINKING FACE] looked a nice fish too!
SeanA101080
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 88 times

Postby anthony byrne » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:13 pm

Pmsl some sport on the light gear
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 147 times

Postby lucky13 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:04 pm

ooolock! (almost) in the paws...cool vid i enjoyed watching! ye yakers are a mad breed of angler lad 8) !
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Postby anthony byrne » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:36 pm

Cheers Lucky13
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)
anthony byrne