Back in the bay

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Back in the bay

Postby garymaxima » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:52 pm

The last trip out couldn't see me find any fish and the trip out the other day saw me confined to sheltered ponds. Today was another glorious spring day in Galway and I wanted to spend some of it on the bay.

Launching onto a flat calm sea I headed out into the bay to cover the same area that I had looked at with Rory towards the end of last week. We tempted no fish that day but the consensus was that they could not be far away.

I had to work for most of the day so by the time I had made it to the water the tide had already peaked and I would be starting to fish on the ebb. I had no bait due to it only being a short evening session and the weapons of choice were artificial lures - Fiiish Black Minnows, Sakura Koneels and a couple of jigging rigs. Really I was just out for the paddle and if I happened to hit some fish that would be a bonus. On the drive to the sea the dial in the car told me that it had hit 20 degrees! In Galway! In April! Too good a day to waste.

I bobbed around for a bit, drifting and casting lures to no avail. I was concentrating on a rocky outcrop that produced some great ballan wrasse over the last couple of year but unfortunately they were not showing themselves today. When it became apparent that the wrasse were not hitting I decided to head out over deeper water where they may be some fish sheltering over a rocky, weedy reef.

A change of tactics saw me switch to the jigging gear and within a few drops I felt the familiar tugging on the line soon to be followed by a full string of small pollock at the surface. None of them were of eating size but it was great to see them and after a quick photo they were sent back to where they had come from.  A few more drops resulted in a few more fish, all small pollock.

I eventually turned the kayak towards the shore and made for home. It's a privilege to be on the water in conditions like today's and the fish are the icing on the cake. Granted, they were small but the fact that they are here means that bigger ones will not be far away and I think this coming weekend, if the wind behaves, might be the time to get out and get hunting for them.

For this message the author garymaxima has received thanks: 2
Ronnach (Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:44 pm), Sweetwrasse (Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:01 am)
garymaxima
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 45 times

Re: Back in the bay

Postby Determined Dan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:24 pm

Nice looking day out. And a few fish hard to beat that. :) .
20107xthornback ray. {PB 14.5LB TB RAY} 1xpouting. 1xcodling.11xdogfish. 25xflounder.1xshore rock ling. 177xmac 4xturbot.1 bull huss.1sea trout. 1 MAYO BASS.2011. WHITING X9. COALIE X3. FLOUNDER X7. DOGGIE X8. THORNIEX3. CODLINGX1. SEA SCORPIONX1. 5 BEARDED ROCKLINGX4. SEATROUT X1. TURBOT X1. POLLACK X7. 3 BEARD ROCKLING .2012 SEATROUT X3. TURBOT X5. FLOUNDER X7. 3B,ROCKLINGX1.DOG .
. 2013.shore species ..... Flounder, dog conger pollack sea trout plaice. Gobyx3 wrasse cork wing wrasse Huss scorpion fish sp. coalie .
Determined Dan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby saving private brian » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:12 pm

what a cracking kayak,,,is she new gary,,can I ask you a q or two

is that camera mount the one from ram,,,,im hoping to buy there one soon so any info would be great,,

also whats the idea of the flag,,i like it

nice report

brian
saving private brian
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 180 times

Postby garymaxima » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks lads
garymaxima
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 45 times