Father and son

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Father and son

Postby anthony byrne » Sun May 04, 2014 9:52 pm

The plan was to beat the weather today which meant a nice early start to the morning as the later part of the day was forecasting force 6. A 5am wake up call and on the road for 6am (a little slow to get started), I was greeted by a flat calm sea and not a breath of wind. Geared up and straight out to a rough ground mark. One rod baited with rag worm and the other crab. I didn't have to wait too long before a fine take produced a lovely codling touching 50cm
Cod_475x268.png
Cod_475x268.png (123.78 KiB) Viewed 1655 times

Nice start to the morning, shortly later the father turned up and we headed out to some deeper water for some flats and mackerel but there was none to be had. The clean ground was clean, completely clean not a tap to be had. Change in plans, back to the initially rough where I had left the anchor, got there tied off and the father followed producing a pollack on the way. Both tied off and lies down we sat waiting. We didn't have too wait too long when the wrasse and pollack showed up.
Bank Holiday 008_475x356.jpg
Bank Holiday 008_475x356.jpg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 1655 times

A short while later my 6ft kayak rod took an almighty knock, grabbed it quickly from the holder and lifted into it. I reeled about 10 ft when it dived, nothing I could do just let it take the line same again reeled in 10ft and bang dived again only this time the fecker took cover in some rocks. I could feel it on the other end of the line but it was snagged tightly I left it sit for 3-4 minutes before I decided to take my chance and yank the line. Fish on ! Great Craic on such a light rod. If you look closely at the picture you can see the damage done on the dorsal fin just at the head.
Bank Holiday 015_475x356.jpg
Bank Holiday 015_475x356.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 1655 times

It wasn't the only big wrasse to be caught, shortly after him, the father was on and again the wrasse headed for the rocks wedging him self tightly. The father played the line for a few minutes and managed to coax the brute from the hole. Definitely one of the bigger wrasse I have seen in Dublin/ Wicklow
Bank Holiday 012_475x356.jpg
Bank Holiday 012_475x356.jpg (43.52 KiB) Viewed 1655 times

Needless to say by now the banter was fierce and the Craic was mighty/ The father reckons his was bigger but no measurements no proof !!!!! Coming off the water I was met by my good friend John who was holding up the slip, you would think it was a yacht he was launching :) A few introductions and a good chat and we were soon on our way back home. Another great session, an absolute pleasure to be on the water with the father. Not so long ago I thought I would never get to fish with him again but today we sat side by side hauling some fine fish into our kayaks. Life is too short, make the most of it when you can. Tight lines and keep safe.
Full details can be seen here http://anthonybyrnekayakangler.blogspot.com/2014/05/father-and-son.html
http://anthonybyrnekayakangler.blogspot.ie
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)

For this message the author anthony byrne has received thanks:
razor2 (Sun May 04, 2014 11:50 pm)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 147 times

Re: Father and son

Postby yappo » Sun May 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Well done Anto some nice fish there. :D Will be looking out for a report from John now.

Yappo
Sunny SouthWest
yappo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 70 times

Postby JOHN1 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Well done Anthony great fishing, you and your dad certainly got the better part of the day, it got very snotty when i was out managed a few codling whiting dogs and pollack, i had no rag or lug with me only had frozen stuff short notice trip,i looked out the window at 9am and decided i was going to launch for 11, well thats my excuse and im sticking to it . Great to meet up with yourself again and nice meeting your da i hope to see more of yous out there during the summer.
yappo wrote:Well done Anto some nice fish there. :D Will be looking out for a report from John now.

Yappo
Thats it pat, my report is in that reply :wink:
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby s2003r » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:11 pm

wow what a wrasse !!

For this message the author s2003r has received thanks:
anthony byrne (Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:11 pm)
s2003r
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Return to Yaks Attack!