I want one

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi lads
First time posting here but all going well hopefully shouldn't be my last.

Anyway I have started looking at some fishing kayaks with a view to buying one, however with the prices on some, I'm anxious not to make the wrong decision.
I'd be eternally grateful if anyone in this section could give me some pointers on what I should be looking for in an angling kayak or what works for them.

Thanks in advance for any advice given
(Ill thank you after the fact aswell so as not to seem ungrateful :lol: )

Re: I want one

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi mate just wondering. Don't get me wrong here.

Are you able to fish as in use a rid when on a kayak.

Believe me it's a different kettle of fish.
Can be very dangerous
And are you trained in kayaking ?

Just wondering mate. Don't want to be reading about another person lost at sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm

Deise boy wrote:Hi mate just wondering. Don't get me wrong here.

Can be very dangerous

i can't let this go without commenting. kayak fishing, as long as you use your common sense, is as safe as rock fishing, beach fishing, boat fishing or any other type of fishing. the key to it all is using a suitable kayak, paying attention to and understanding tides and weather patterns and carrying appropriate safety gear. i carry a VHF radio, PDF, flares, GPS and a host of other items with me. how many small boat owners in ireland take these items out? very few.

kayak anglers are amongst the most safety orientated anglers you will find. they plan everything to the last detail and generally don't take chances. kayaks don't cause accidents, stupidity does. i've been out regularly for over five years now and i haven't died yet! the sport has been growing in ireland for the last decade nearly. there hasn't been one fatality. how many lads have gone missing from the rocks? how many tragedies have there been at sea and in our lakes when lads have been out fishing? a lot more than none.

in response to the original post, make sure you try before you buy. there are a few shops that may allow you to have a test run in a few different types of kayaks. what suits one man may not suit another. the Irish Kayak Angling club have an active core of members that are out fairly regularly. check out their forum at http://www.irishkayakangling.com and there will be a host of lads that can give you some advice. see when they have a meet on and you can probably go along to try a few different kayaks there.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:42 pm

garymaxima wrote:

Can be very dangerous

i can't let this go without commenting. kayak fishing, as long as you use your common sense, is as safe as rock fishing, beach fishing, boat fishing or any other type of fishing. the key to it all is using a suitable kayak, paying attention to and understanding tides and weather patterns and carrying appropriate safety gear. i carry a VHF radio, PDF, flares, GPS and a host of other items with me. how many small boat owners in ireland take these items out? very few.

kayak anglers are amongst the most safety orientated anglers you will find. they plan everything to the last detail and generally don't take chances. kayaks don't cause accidents, stupidity does. i've been out regularly for over five years now and i haven't died yet! the sport has been growing in ireland for the last decade nearly. there hasn't been one fatality. how many lads have gone missing from the rocks? how many tragedies have there been at sea and in our lakes when lads have been out fishing? a lot more than none.

in response to the original post, make sure you try before you buy. there are a few shops that may allow you to have a test run in a few different types of kayaks. what suits one man may not suit another. the Irish Kayak Angling club have an active core of members that are out fairly regularly. check out their forum at http://www.irishkayakangling.com and there will be a host of lads that can give you some advice. see when they have a meet on and you can probably go along to try a few different kayaks there.

Think your picking me up wrong mate. My main point as his post showed was he wants one.

Never said trained or anything
Never mentioned safety
Never mentioned his knowledge of tides or anything
I was giving advise as best I can I don't have. Kayak I don't fish using an kayak.

I know nothing in the death ratio within fishing from boat or rock.

If your not happy with my answer that's fine I was only trying to guide.

Didn't need to know all about it.

And yes it is obviously very dangerous if not trained.
Isn't almost everything. !!!

That's why I asked

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:56 pm

i understand where you are coming from and i didn't want the uninitiated reading your post and thusly assuming that kayak fishing is a dangerous branch of the sport. i only mentioned the death rate in other forms of irish angling as a marker to illustrate that statistically kayak angling is safer than other aspects of the sport.

i was an angler years before i ever started kayaking and i started kayak fishing with no type of training at all. my point was that with common sense and a bit of forethought that the sport is a fun one to participate in and whilst the safety aspects should be forefront, they should not determine whether or not an angler decides to pursue the sport. today's kayaks that are designed specifically for kayak fishing are worlds apart from a normal paddling craft.

you rightly mentioned some safety concerns in your post and i wanted to counter them because i wanted to show a different side of the argument so as not to deter the original poster who may have decided to reconsider on the back of one sided advice....

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:45 pm

garymaxima wrote:

Can be very dangerous

i carry a VHF radio, PDF, flares, GPS and a host of other items with me. how many small boat owners in ireland take these items out? very few.

I dont know where you are getting your ideas from,you might have fished down in greystones in an open lake boat with a very small outboard with little or now safety equipment thats fair enough but dont think all small boats are like the ones you have been out in, im a long time small boat angler/owner and i carry everything you have mentioned and more including two anchors chartplotter and backup gps a fixed vhf and a hh vhf, most of the small boat anglers i know and thats quite a few also have a similar setup, i dont know why you even mentioned or brought small boat owners into this when it was a question on kayaks. only last night i watched footage of a guy getting thrown out of a hobie kayac so it does happen from time to time, also according to the irish coast guard there was 67 rescues involving paddle craft last year alone.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:45 pm

i did fish from a small lake boat in greystones on a flat calm day with somebody who grew up in the area and knows the waters like the back of his hand. i was wearing my kayaking pfd in which all the accessories i mentioned are kept in the pockets.

I am not having a pop at small boat anglers. i commend you for the gear that you carry when on the small boat but i guarantee that a spot check in any harbour in ireland on a busy day will throw up lads that are heading out unprepared from a safety aspect. all i was merely trying to point out was that kayak fishing is as safe a branch of the sport of angling as any other. yes there will always be yahoos that go out in kayaks unprepared, same way that there are small boat owners who go out without the gear mentioned above, same way that there are rock fishermen who ignore weather warnings and local advice, same way as people drive cars without seat belts. the point i was trying to articulate was that kayak fishing is no more or less dangerous than any type of sport, hence the suggestion of getting in touch with lads at www.irishkayakangling.com because they can give guidance in an informative and friendly manner that will see any newcomers to kayak fishing taking the right approach.

and of the 67 call outs for the irish coast guard to paddlers, I bet the majority of those call outs coincided with the good weather and lidl's decision to hawk inflatable kayaks for 50 euro which are far and away not suitable for anything more than a farm pond.......

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:55 pm

no problem gary i never questioned or doubted that you were wearing a pdf or not i was only using the boat you go out in as a comparison to other more equipped modern small fishing boats. I agree that some arnt up to scratch with equipment especially the smaller open type boat on the same lines of the one you fish from, it's like everything it's as safe as you want to make it yourself, i was actually approached and questioned by a member of the dom few years back down in kilmore quay and he was very happy with what he seen and heard,The rnli do a thing called sea check for small boat owners to run over what they have and advise on how to improve the safety of there boats im sure they could offer the same advice on kayacs and as far as i know it's a free service that would be worthy of a donation of some kind to the local rnli station :wink:
with the 67 call outs the majority of them im sure would have been during the summer months when everything that floats is on the water, i have seen some very overloaded rubber boats with foreigners onboard out at sea these guys make up a lot of the calls,i even heard of the one boat full of them been rescued two days in a row last year, the dingy should of been confiscated from them, i wont go on anymore :wink:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm

i hear ya :wink:

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Can be very dangerous

And I don't want to be reading silly, patronising answers to questions I didn't even ask.
As a matter of fact I do have quite a bit of training and experience with sit-in kayaks but no I have never used one for angling purposes and didn't think that I would need to describe this to the forum in order to engage in a technical discussion on the different types of sit-on kayaks. I would go as far as to say your post has offended me Deise Boy as you have made me out to be some kind of fool lacking in the most basic common sense and safety awareness.
My thanks to Gary who actually gave some advice.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:41 pm

no worries. check out the forum i mentioned or drop me a message and i'll do what i can to help

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:11 pm

paddy87 wrote:Hi lads
First time posting here but all going well hopefully shouldn't be my last.

Anyway I have started looking at some fishing kayaks with a view to buying one, however with the prices on some, I'm anxious not to make the wrong decision.
I'd be eternally grateful if anyone in this section could give me some pointers on what I should be looking for in an angling kayak or what works for them.

Thanks in advance for any advice given
(Ill thank you after the fact aswell so as not to seem ungrateful :lol: )

Hi mate it's recommended that you get a sit on top kayak at least 13 ft long for our coastal waters. They come in many different shapes and sizes some with added extras. Ocean trident are very popular but I love the wilderness ride 135 2010-2011 model. It sits low on the water and tracks really well. I'm on a hobie outback at the moment. I usually head out 500 metres off the shore but have ventured 4km out. Any questions fire them away :wink: