Still searching

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Took another spin out for the elusive east coast tope on Monday evening. The winds were westerly and the tides were good. After a bit of a struggle with the kayak I was on the water for 6.30. Straight out about 600metres and anchored up. The tide was again roaring through, I first dropped the lines down with 8 ounce weights and then added another 6 and 1/2 but still couldn't hold the bottom :shock: Im starting to wonder is this the problem that the baits are not presented right :roll:
I wasnt long waiting for the dogs to attack in numbers followed by the whiting (fresh live bait) and then the ratchet starting to click away and the first huss of the night showed up no size maybe 50cm. Quick change of rigs to target a gurnard as Gary hit one on our last outing, I was using a modified flowing trace with 3/0 hooks baited with slithers of mackerel. Done the job up popped this lad
k2.jpg

At first I thought it was a red gurnard but then noticed the blue colour on the fins, one more for the hunt. Baited back up and dropped the line down again which took an almighty knock this one proved a good scrap and even better when I landed him
k3.jpg

k1.jpg

Didnt stay out too long just a quick session and again beaten by the tope :oops: :oops:. Some craic getting the gear back to the car :cry: , as I was loaded and started to drive away I noticed the father park up beside me :roll: only 20 mins to late :lol: We noticed a young family looked in a spot of bother on the beach so we headed over to see if we could help. They had a small catamaran which they were trying to get landed on the beach. Im not sure what the problem was but his wife and kids were struggling to pull it onto the beach. Good deed for the day was helping them out :mrgreen: maybe next time karma will reward me with a tope :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Still searching

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:44 am

Cracking fish! what kinda doggie is that?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:28 am

The greater spotted dogfish i.e. Bullhuss. :D

Yappo

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:41 pm

As above its a huss. Just like a doggie except they grow fairly big, they pull back and have an attitude. Dont put your finger in their mouth:grin: look back over anthonys posts for a good video of one trying to take a chunk out of his arm.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Haha sounds like abit of fun! :) huge fish, would be a great fight on light tackle I'd imagine!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Cheers lads, they've definetely got attitude :P some fun on the kayak. One things that always surprises me is how big their mouths are. They could take a whole mackerel :shock:

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:49 am

Ya he's looking hungry there alright! Big belly on it as well, massive fish (from the couple dogs i've seen)! :)