Dirty Hussy

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Thought the title might grab your attenion :D On the road very early this morning and I was on the water for about 6.30. The venue was to be the Moulditch bank about 2km out from Greystones. The plan was to troll my lucky pink feathers ;) on the way out and pick up some fresh mackerel and hit the tope but it wasn't to be :oops: . It was a grand paddle out barely breaking a sweat. Got anchored up with no hassle and dropped the lines one rod was a 1 up 1 down trace with size 3/0 hooks and the other a pulley rig with a size 8/0 hook :shock: Yep no messing around today. The tide was fairly quirky out that way, I crossed over my anchor three different times :? I found it difficult to keep my bearings, one minute I was facing the land next I'm looking at the red buoy and then back again anyhow I had the GPS so wasn't too worried. First up was a doggie on the 8/0 hook :x :x :x dam dog fish and they kept coming. After about 40 mins the lighter rod took a good knock and the line was peeling from the reel, lifted up and reeled in my first ever bull huss
Greystones1 006_640x480.jpg

Dropped down again and sure enough another heavy hit. Reeled him up to the side of the kayak and the fooker spit the hook again it was another huss, Id say the profanities could be heard from the beach :lol: The doggies were taking everything but both huss so far were on squid so I baited the 8/0 hook with a cocktail of a mack fillet squid and a peeler to add some flavour, dropped it over the side. Over the next few minutes the tide began to run :shock: and things got a little too uncomfortable so I took in the smaller rod up and began to haul anchor. Just as the anchor came up the bigger rod started to scream ah fook im snagged I thought :x how am I gona sort this but then it started fighting back :P :P :P wtf it felt like I hooked a boat after a few minutes a bull huss came to the surface but the bugger spit the hook :oops: not to be beaten I reached in and grabbed his tail :shock: little did I know what I was in for. The huss actually turned to bite me :shock: Jesus it was a difficult few minutes and guess what its all on camera :P
Greystones1 009_640x480.jpg

Picked up 1 mack while trolling back in
Greystones1 011_640x480.jpg

Just a short session today but Ill definitely venture out that way again for a another go.
Heres the link to the video, kids should cover their ears :oops:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1HFMoZlyXU&feature=youtube_gdata
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Dirty Hussy

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:55 pm

deadly stuff anto, :D

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Brilliant.... great report fairplay to ya

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:36 pm

great report anto and great clip to go with it, strange coincidence i was only saying to you they are feckers for turning on you, the mad dogs of the sea :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:40 pm

happens to me every time when I try to be really careful not to hurt them during the release, it's either doggie rash or a bite mark for me - ungrateful animals for sure :) Grabbing them at the top of neck seems to help a bit but alas, fishing is a bloodsport nonetheless :) :mrgreen:

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:01 pm

joeflan35 wrote:deadly stuff anto, :D

Cheers Joe, some morning I'm still buzzing
sea serpant wrote:Brilliant.... great report fairplay to ya

Cheers sea serpant
JOHN1 wrote:great report anto and great clip to go with it, strange coincidence i was only saying to you they are feckers for turning on you, the mad dogs of the sea :lol: :lol:

You were bang on John as the second fella spat the hook too and this one only for I grabbed him, cheers
The Austrian wrote:happens to me every time when I try to be really careful not to hurt them during the release, it's either doggie rash or a bite mark for me - ungrateful animals for sure :) Grabbing them at the top of neck seems to help a bit but alas, fishing is a bloodsport nonetheless :) :mrgreen:

I always were latex gloves as the saltwater drives the hands crazy but this lad just ripped straight through the glove and I was left with doggie rash :lol:

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 pm

For a species reputed to have poor eyesight..They always seem to eyeball you before they lunge at your arm :!:
nice report and photos as usual anthony.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:11 pm

I'll be very careful if I ever hook into one of those :shock: ,,,,,,,thanks for posting Anthony :wink:

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 am

Nice report Anto. At least he didn't puke on you :) They can be feckers for that as well. At least on my boat I can wash into the sump. You'd be looking at it all day in the Yak :)

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Great report Anthony some nice fish there so guess it preferred your arm than the bait :lol: :lol: just the way they eyeball you before they strike....

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 am

Great report and photos, Really enjoyed reading it !

Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:47 pm

MAC wrote:Nice report Anto. At least he didn't puke on you :) They can be feckers for that as well. At least on my boat I can wash into the sump. You'd be looking at it all day in the Yak :)

First fish I caught using bait was an 8lb huss off the local beach, first thing it did was puke up a load of dead crab on me. It was just holding the bait in its mouth too. They must be very hard to set a hook in.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:21 pm

Nice Huss,,,have seen them numerous times holding on to the bait and letting go at the surface..nice fishing.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 pm

willie bendit wrote:For a species reputed to have poor eyesight..They always seem to eyeball you before they lunge at your arm :!:
nice report and photos as usual anthony.

Thanks Willie
eyesreilly wrote:I'll be very careful if I ever hook into one of those :shock: ,,,,,,,thanks for posting Anthony :wink:

Cheers MR reilly just like a huge dogfish on drugs :shock:
MAC wrote:Nice report Anto. At least he didn't puke on you :) They can be feckers for that as well. At least on my boat I can wash into the sump. You'd be looking at it all day in the Yak :)

:shock: Ill bring a small puke bag in future :lol: :lol:
sparkey+1 wrote:Great report Anthony some nice fish there so guess it preferred your arm than the bait :lol: :lol: just the way they eyeball you before they strike....

Some craic I nearly had a brown trouser moment :shock: :lol:
sailnfish wrote:Great report and photos, Really enjoyed reading it !

Thanks
redzerologhlen wrote:

First fish I caught using bait was an 8lb huss off the local beach, first thing it did was puke up a load of dead crab on me. It was just holding the bait in its mouth too. They must be very hard to set a hook in.

Yep they seem difficult to set the hook, I have asked about and they seem to hold the bait until they reach the surafce and then let go :evil:
MONKEYwrasse wrote:Nice Huss,,,have seen them numerous times holding on to the bait and letting go at the surface..nice fishing.

Fully agree, This lad took a huge bait as his mouth was a big as a closed fist