thinking of getting one of these

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Re: thinking of getting one of these

Postby spindlefist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:54 am

The Austrian wrote:
spindlefist wrote:If you have a budget, keep it aside and add to it, take yer time.. took me over a year to get enough for a safe, reliable one..
I also got one of these as a backup, 400 total including postage, works well on lake, river and inshore (little killary etc).>

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SIT-ON-TOP-FISHI ... 3a7d3b8fa4

you certainly got me hooked on that now Daire, bought one for my kids (21/18/15) and the missus this minute, they really deserve it, veni vidi vici before they are all gone :) might even get the odd chance of using it myself ;)

I got one as a 'guest' kayak so I could have folks out with me when they come visit, but often I use it myself for nipping about lough corrib if I just want to go out for a couple of km exercise....
no problems with it yet, very stable due to the pontoon shape, though this hampers tracking a tad... but on the plus- a harder workout =D
2016: dogfish, pollack,

2015: whiting, coalfish, turbot, pollack, ballan wrasse, conger, thornback, short spined sea scorpion , common blenny ,

2014 : dogfish, garfish, launce, common blenny, cuckoo wrasse, flounder, pollack, thornback ray,

2013 species:(15) Whiting, Dogfish, Three Bearded Rockling, bull huss, poor cod,turbot, flounder,pollack, spotted ray, thornback ray, launce, corkwing wrasse, long spined sea scorpion, common blenny,mackerel,

2012 species: Thornback, bull huss, Dogfish, pollack, Mackerel, bass, flounder, turbot, conger,

Species 09:(23) Conger, Whiting, Bass, flounder, Dogfish, dab, corkwing wrasse, pollack, bull huss(8lb 10oz~PB) , thornback ray(8lb~PB), dragonet, ballan wrasse, Blenny, Mackeral,long spined sea scorpion,pouting, coalfish, launce, codling, poor cod, starry smoothhound, 5 bearded rockling, shore rockling..
spindlefist
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby spindlefist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 am

hurler01 wrote:
The Austrian wrote:
spindlefist wrote:If you have a budget, keep it aside and add to it, take yer time.. took me over a year to get enough for a safe, reliable one..
I also got one of these as a backup, 400 total including postage, works well on lake, river and inshore (little killary etc).>

you certainly got me hooked on that now Daire, bought one for my kids (21/18/15) and the missus this minute, they really deserve it, veni vidi vici before they are all gone :) might even get the odd chance of using it myself ;)

Be careful, once you get out on the kayak you'll be hooked :D
Its a great way to fish and stretch the arms. Been up to little Killary a fair few times and the scenery is something else, very good spot for pollock when you know where they are :)

I've the battery and charger ordered and am installing the fishfinder this week..... Those pollock don't stand a chance...

2015: whiting, coalfish, turbot, pollack, ballan wrasse, conger, thornback, short spined sea scorpion , common blenny ,

2014 : dogfish, garfish, launce, common blenny, cuckoo wrasse, flounder, pollack, thornback ray,

2013 species:(15) Whiting, Dogfish, Three Bearded Rockling, bull huss, poor cod,turbot, flounder,pollack, spotted ray, thornback ray, launce, corkwing wrasse, long spined sea scorpion, common blenny,mackerel,

2012 species: Thornback, bull huss, Dogfish, pollack, Mackerel, bass, flounder, turbot, conger,

Species 09:(23) Conger, Whiting, Bass, flounder, Dogfish, dab, corkwing wrasse, pollack, bull huss(8lb 10oz~PB) , thornback ray(8lb~PB), dragonet, ballan wrasse, Blenny, Mackeral,long spined sea scorpion,pouting, coalfish, launce, codling, poor cod, starry smoothhound, 5 bearded rockling, shore rockling..

For this message the author spindlefist has received thanks:
The Austrian (Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am)
spindlefist
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hurler01 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 am

Look for the reefs :wink:
You'll see the water depth droppin off in a few places. One area sits at around 30 to 40 ft then gets very shallow. The other is at about 50 ft then drops right off. You won't get anything in the main channel except dogs and ray. Just a matter of finding a nice sandy area to anchor down on.
hurler01
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby spindlefist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:01 pm

I'd found that 30+ft - shallow but the tidal drift was pushing me at a rate of knots! =D
next time

spindlefist
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby pullandbang » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:41 am

Myself and another chap bought two of these a couple of weeks back - €380 delivered. We've only been out once in calm seas and they behaved impeccably! Looking forward to tomorrow evening and a good long session on an incoming tide.
pullandbang
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Budawanny » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:05 pm

A quick note to the original poster... apart from buying a decent boat (and you should - that thing is a toy) you also need to consider a lot more before we are reading about you in the lifeboat or coastguard reports, and possibly the obits.

Apart from a boat you will need to consider a wetsuit, a buoyancy aid/flotation device, communication (your phone won't work when you end up in the water/drifting drifting out to sea) at the very least. Leash for your paddle. Helmet if you intend being near rocks. Probably a GPS too unless you can navigate in a fog. I can keep going...... If you have no budget for a boat I would guess you aren't budgeting for these either.

Two more items you need, but you can't buy them: Common sense and experience.

Lastly no matter how good your equipment and training, NEVER go out alone. There is too much that can go wrong and the sea can be very unforgiving. Kayaking done properly can be great, done badly it can kill you. The previous posters might well be saving your life.

Cheers.
Budawanny
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby garymaxima » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:48 pm

garymaxima
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 45 times

Previous

Return to Yaks Attack!