thinking of getting one of these

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:49 pm

thinking of getting this http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-EC6 ... _33011.htm for the backstrand in tramore and the coves from tramore up as far a annstown fishing for bass pollock and whatever else

any advice please

Re: thinking of getting one of these

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:41 pm

when it comes to kayaks and kayak fishing, my advice is; you get what you pay for.

if you trust your life to a fifty euro lidl boat that looks like even a blunt hook would pierce it, then go ahead. i think a far better option would be to have a look at some of the specially made sit on top kayaks. out on the water is a very lonely place to be if something goes wrong even if you are carrying a VHF radio, flares and other signalling equipment that most kayak anglers carry with them....

if you want my honest opinion, personally speaking, i would not send the neighbour's cat to sea in a 'boat' like that. i would go as far as to say that lidl are irresponsible to be selling such an item, the coastguard will have a busy summer

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:38 pm

well what about this one http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... authToken=

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 pm

i honestly think that argos one is no better. i think that you really would be better off to wait until you can get a proper kayak. i wouldn't trust any form of inflatable kayak - sharp hooks and knives are potentially a huge problem. i would be a bit apprehensive about how they would handle on the water as well.

that's just one man's opinion though, perhaps a few others may have ideas or thoughts on this?

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:08 pm

I'd second that, steer clear of these toys. may be ok for paddling about on a pond, but not the sea or even a river or lake...... you can get a proper, trustworthy kayak second hand for 300-400.. what price do you put on safety?

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Buy it, fill it with water and let the kids paddle in it. :lol:

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:08 pm

you must be jokin? i would not go out in sea in that with a fishing rod id stear well clear

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 pm

Don't be stupid man...wouldn't be using that on dry land never mind in the sea!

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:06 am

looks like we might loose a few more "forners" this month ... Death traps if ye ask me .

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 am

this rubbish should be banned from sale altogether or clearly marked as not suitable for use in any type of lake, river or the sea. How many kids will be tempted to buy one between them and set out in it during the good spell of weather? I don't dare thinking of the consequences... :(

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 pm

is this any better http://www.donedeal.ie/watersports-for- ... rp/5325009
i am on a budget

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:54 pm

To be honost how much of a budget do you put on your safety :?:

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:37 pm

If you have a budget, keep it aside and add to it, take yer time.. took me over a year to get enough for a safe, reliable one..
I also got one of these as a backup, 400 total including postage, works well on lake, river and inshore (little killary etc).>

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SIT-ON-TOP-FISHI ... 3a7d3b8fa4

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 pm

I know it's hard when your on a budget but for a little extra you would buy a second hand yak that will last you years. For coastal fishing 12 ft is recommended in length. Ocean, wilderness and hobie are big names. I would think you can pick up a good 2nd hand kayak for 350-650. Not to repeat what said but safety first imagine being 1/2 mile out and a spiky wrasse punctured it :oops:

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:57 pm

or 1/2 mile out and a string of 6 feathers dancing about on your lap and sides with mackerel going nuts......
adverts tends to have good yaks up second hand alot...
Or contact Darren of darrens kayaks - google him.. he is a good lad, sorted me out..

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 pm

I'll second what the lads are saying, those inflatable kayaks are a death trap. About Darren's kayaks, he's a sound fella and will see you right. Got the first kayak from him and he took me out on the water to give me a safety lesson.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 pm

spindlefist wrote:If you have a budget, keep it aside and add to it, take yer time.. took me over a year to get enough for a safe, reliable one..
I also got one of these as a backup, 400 total including postage, works well on lake, river and inshore (little killary etc).>

you certainly got me hooked on that now Daire, bought one for my kids (21/18/15) and the missus this minute, they really deserve it, veni vidi vici before they are all gone :) might even get the odd chance of using it myself ;)

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 pm

The Austrian wrote:
spindlefist wrote:If you have a budget, keep it aside and add to it, take yer time.. took me over a year to get enough for a safe, reliable one..

you certainly got me hooked on that now Daire, bought one for my kids (21/18/15) and the missus this minute, they really deserve it, veni vidi vici before they are all gone :) might even get the odd chance of using it myself ;)

Be careful, once you get out on the kayak you'll be hooked :D
Its a great way to fish and stretch the arms. Been up to little Killary a fair few times and the scenery is something else, very good spot for pollock when you know where they are :)

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:35 pm

developed this plan with my kids today, the missus is still left in the dark, cant wait to see her face when the delivery van stops to unload it ;) I'm not opening the door and bought it in her name :)

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:22 am

They're in for a suprise :D
Any time a parcel arrives at the house I get the usual "what are you after getting now". There will be some smiles on the young ones faces! :D