Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Kayak(s): Hobie

Duration:6.30-9.30

Tide:

Weather:13 knot wind but dying down

Bait: peeler rag and sandeel

Rigs: lots

Results: 5 doggies 2 dabs and 1 starry smoothound

Report: It was nearly two weeks since I was last on the water and I was starting to get the itch :shock: so after a restless night with the young lad teething and 8 hours in the office the kayak was calling me. A call and macker was game for a session. Got the car loaded in double time and hit the road. 60 mins later I was ready to launch but was met with conditions a little worse than expected and a call from macker who unfortunately couldnt make it(maybe next week macker)
Wexford 003_450x338.jpg

The breeze hadnt died down as expected but it was still do able. I manage to launch between a group of shore anglers and headed off about 1/2 mile out and dropped anchor. Things were very quiet for the first hour and I was starting to get that gut feeling of a blank I decided on a few rigs changes to tidier rigs when a little rattle produced this lad
Wexford 006_450x338.jpg

another new species for the hunt so it was a start.
Wexford 007_450x338.jpg

The dogs were on the attack at this stage and they were loving the peeler which was ment for the smoothies :x Sure dogs were better than no fish so I fished away. At this stage I had to face the yak into the swell as I was feeling quesy :?
Then the rod took a big knock but went quiet so I left it be for a few minutes before reeling in and the bait had been munched on so big baits down again and BANG fish on(or so I thought) I lifted into the fish and reeled in hard and fast. Being an eager beaver I took one hand off the rod to activate the camera and guess what???? Yep school boy error :cry: :cry: The fish was gone
By this time I was on the last peeler so I dropped the line down and let it settle when the line started to whiz off the reel :shock: I lifted up into it and made sure to hook up. I knew straight away it would be a smooth hound ,It fought like crazy thrashing about as I got him to the top and diving again. Such a lovely fight made the evening worth while.
Wexford 013_450x338.jpg

Wexford 010_450x338.jpg

He measured at about 82 cm which is in and around five pound.In hind sight I should have kept the peeler until it got dark :roll: :roll: 1 more dab and dogfish seen me wrap it up for the night
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Wexford smoothie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

great stuff anto nice little session well done on the hound 8)

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:11 am

Nice fish. You dont half know how to produce the goods from the yak.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:50 pm

JOHN1 wrote:great stuff anto nice little session well done on the hound 8)

Thanks John, I was happy to be out for the few hours
Tony T wrote:Nice fish. You dont half know how to produce the goods from the yak.

Sometimes I get lucky :P cheers mate