drifting over very rocky ground

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:42 pm

Was doing some small boat fishing in west cork at the mouth of crookhaven at the weekend. We drifted over some fairly rocky ground and did manage to get some wrasse. But also lost a couple of rigs in the process. Just wondering what are your favourite rigs to use over rocky ground, also any tips for this?
I would assume wait till you feel the bottom then one or two turns to take the rig off the bottom ??

ta,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: drifting over very rocky ground

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm not sure about rigs, but when i'm fishing over dirty ground from a boat i tend to use elastic bands to connect the weight to the swivel. the thinking being I'd rather just lose a lead than a whole trace. you spend less time trying to free up snags and cutting meters of line.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:04 pm

I've also used paper clips as the weak link. Another way is using 15-20lbmono to tie the weights on.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:49 am

Also tieing wire, the bendy wire that comes in some sandwich bags. Two or three truns is enough to tie the weight to the rig but it will pull out of weed but not keep,a rig when caught.