Anchor or Not? - Kayak

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Guys,

In relation to my pother post I am looking at starting sea kayaking. I was wondering do many people anchor or would you drift? And if so what weight anchor? I would like to do a bit of spinning, bottom fishing etc...

Cheers

Re: Anchor or Not? - Kayak

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 pm

i use an anchor more often than not when kayak fishing. the anchor i use is a folding grapnel anchor and it weighs 3lb. attached to this is about 6/7 feet of heavy chain and my anchor "rope" is attached to this - 550lb paracord.

you will not be able to use an anchor on a kayak without an anchor trolley system. google it and there should be loads of ideas that you can have a look at. i found anchoring an extremely effective way of upping my kayak catches but be very careful when trying it. anchoring in a strong tide is not at all easy to do on a kayak and i would advise somebody with a bit of experience of anchoring to bring you out and demonstrate how its done properly

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

garymaxima wrote:i use an anchor more often than not when kayak fishing. the anchor i use is a folding grapnel anchor and it weighs 3lb. attached to this is about 6/7 feet of heavy chain and my anchor "rope" is attached to this - 550lb paracord.

you will not be able to use an anchor on a kayak without an anchor trolley system. google it and there should be loads of ideas that you can have a look at. i found anchoring an extremely effective way of upping my kayak catches but be very careful when trying it. anchoring in a strong tide is not at all easy to do on a kayak and i would advise somebody with a bit of experience of anchoring to bring you out and demonstrate how its done properly

Great thanks for the help!

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:33 pm

garymaxima wrote:i use an anchor more often than not when kayak fishing. the anchor i use is a folding grapnel anchor and it weighs 3lb. attached to this is about 6/7 feet of heavy chain and my anchor "rope" is attached to this - 550lb paracord.

Hi Garymaxima,

i notice that there are two types of sit on tops, normal and angler. The angler ones seem to be more expensive in the wilderness system range anyways. I assume these have this system built in but would it be hard to make my own anchor system if I went with a standard sit on top?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:36 am

The difference between the angler version and regular version is the rod holders on most version. Yes you could install the system very easy easily and you can buy a kit for maybe €25 . My grapel anchor is attached to 2ft of chain, and then onto 3mm paracord which is on a divers reel. My divers reels is attached to the kayak with 13 ft of bungee which runs through the system . The bungee is very good incase your caught with a swell it will stretch and let you ride over it . It can be difficult to anchor at first but in my opinion it's needed in certain areas. Where will you intend to fish

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:26 am

Yep, go for the standard adn kit out yourself unless you have the extra dosh to splash out on the angler version.

Never go to the ocean without an achor... maybe even bring a spare...

Too many things could happen that you havent considered...bad weather, fog, stomach cramps, feel sick, damaged muscle, cut you hand with fillet knife, catch a porbeagle and it bites your arm :)

Anchor is simple, small and safe. Its easy to rig and customise a kayak, have a look at kayak angling ireland or join a club. Cos its smaller its more important to be safe. There was a SAI board member that fell overboard last year and couldnt get back on board, small things turn out big when your're a mile offshore and need to rely on your own HP to get back in!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:44 pm

anthony byrne wrote:The difference between the angler version and regular version is the rod holders on most version. Yes you could install the system very easy easily and you can buy a kit for maybe €25 . My grapel anchor is attached to 2ft of chain, and then onto 3mm paracord which is on a divers reel. My divers reels is attached to the kayak with 13 ft of bungee which runs through the system . The bungee is very good incase your caught with a swell it will stretch and let you ride over it . It can be difficult to anchor at first but in my opinion it's needed in certain areas. Where will you intend to fish

Cheers for the info. Id prob be looking to go out around dun laoighaire, dalkey, killiney, bray and greystones. Would they be good areas for kayaking?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Donnyboy1 wrote:Yep, go for the standard adn kit out yourself unless you have the extra dosh to splash out on the angler version.

Never go to the ocean without an achor... maybe even bring a spare...

Too many things could happen that you havent considered...bad weather, fog, stomach cramps, feel sick, damaged muscle, cut you hand with fillet knife, catch a porbeagle and it bites your arm :)

Anchor is simple, small and safe. Its easy to rig and customise a kayak, have a look at kayak angling ireland or join a club. Cos its smaller its more important to be safe. There was a SAI board member that fell overboard last year and couldnt get back on board, small things turn out big when your're a mile offshore and need to rely on your own HP to get back in!

Thanks for the advice Donnyboy! There are a lot of factors to consider :idea:

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:58 pm

magpie01 wrote:
anthony byrne wrote:The difference between the angler version and regular version is the rod holders on most version. Yes you could install the system very easy easily and you can buy a kit for maybe €25 . My grapel anchor is attached to 2ft of chain, and then onto 3mm paracord which is on a divers reel. My divers reels is attached to the kayak with 13 ft of bungee which runs through the system . The bungee is very good incase your caught with a swell it will stretch and let you ride over it . It can be difficult to anchor at first but in my opinion it's needed in certain areas. Where will you intend to fish

Cheers for the info. Id prob be looking to go out around dun laoighaire, dalkey, killiney, bray and greystones. Would they be good areas for kayaking?

I relation to Kayak fishing, I've never done it.
I have done a lot of various kayaking though. I rekon anywhere there's water is good for kayking. You probably know those areas well but a kayak is a very small boat and even your local areas will occasionally suprise you with strange tides and strong swells. Its suprising how small a kayak can seem when the water kicks up a swell. To anchor or not to anchor???
First you will need to get a bit of kayak time under your belt before you can decide this for yourself, and perhaps there is some way of getting an intro to it before lashing out the cash. At least you will have a good idea whether its for you or not before spending the bucks. Anything I have seen about kayak fishing seems mostly about sit-ons however there are lots of general purpose boats that would be great for it. One drawback to that would be that you would need to be able to roll compentently in case of capsize and be able to keep a paddle secured close to you to do this unless (I am stretching it a bit here but you never know, it just might appeal to you) you were also prepared to learn how to roll with your hands (its actually not that difficult). GP boats are comfortable and roomy too. Why not head to a local kayak club, most run basic courses through the year for a small fee and are happy to see new people. Guess I am probably going to OTT here on the question. Anyway whatever you do do it safely......... :)

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:32 am

I fish quite a lot around dun laoghaire, killiney and bray. I have fished greystones from the yak but I avoid it as I don't like the current out there and got caught out once. I avoid Dalkey aswell . Your more than welcome to meet up if you want you can have a spin in mine or at least get a look at how it's rigged give you an idea. On the safety side of things you will need to practise a self rescue, so if you do fall in you can right your kayak and get back on. Some kayaks are easier to do this than others

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:17 am

globulin77 wrote:I relation to Kayak fishing, I've never done it.
I have done a lot of various kayaking though. I rekon anywhere there's water is good for kayking. You probably know those areas well but a kayak is a very small boat and even your local areas will occasionally suprise you with strange tides and strong swells. Its suprising how small a kayak can seem when the water kicks up a swell. To anchor or not to anchor???
First you will need to get a bit of kayak time under your belt before you can decide this for yourself, and perhaps there is some way of getting an intro to it before lashing out the cash. At least you will have a good idea whether its for you or not before spending the bucks. Anything I have seen about kayak fishing seems mostly about sit-ons however there are lots of general purpose boats that would be great for it. One drawback to that would be that you would need to be able to roll compentently in case of capsize and be able to keep a paddle secured close to you to do this unless (I am stretching it a bit here but you never know, it just might appeal to you) you were also prepared to learn how to roll with your hands (its actually not that difficult). GP boats are comfortable and roomy too. Why not head to a local kayak club, most run basic courses through the year for a small fee and are happy to see new people. Guess I am probably going to OTT here on the question. Anyway whatever you do do it safely......... :)

Cheers for the advice! :) Yes I plan on doing a course and getting a feel for the kayak before I splash out!

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:26 am

anthony byrne wrote:I fish quite a lot around dun laoghaire, killiney and bray. I have fished greystones from the yak but I avoid it as I don't like the current out there and got caught out once. I avoid Dalkey aswell . Your more than welcome to meet up if you want you can have a spin in mine or at least get a look at how it's rigged give you an idea. On the safety side of things you will need to practise a self rescue, so if you do fall in you can right your kayak and get back on. Some kayaks are easier to do this than others

Hi Anthony, that sounds great! I might take you up on that if you don't mind. Id love to see how it's set up. I was thinking of doing a course first just to learn the ropes.

I found this place but I'm not sure if they do sit on tops. I'm going to give them a ring today and see.

http://deepblueseakayaking.com/index.ph ... ry-courses

Cheers

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Anthony mentioned he avoids Greystones and Dalkey.
I actually got caught badly off Dalkey in a small (18 or 20 feet) boat with a small outboard years ago. The tide was turning and it kicked up a weird swell, quit suddenly. It lasted for about 20 mins or so and all we could do was face the boat out to sea and go through the swells head on. I was quite suprised at the time so I would imagine you would need a good level of competency if caught in it in a kayak.
BTW Wild Water Kayak Club beside the Strawberry Beds do very cheap basic courses and I imagine a lot of members must have sit ons etc.....
They weren't really around much in ireland when I kayaked.
Best of luck though, can't beat a good day on the water......................... :)

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:46 am

globulin77 wrote:Anthony mentioned he avoids Greystones and Dalkey.
I actually got caught badly off Dalkey in a small (18 or 20 feet) boat with a small outboard years ago. The tide was turning and it kicked up a weird swell, quit suddenly. It lasted for about 20 mins or so and all we could do was face the boat out to sea and go through the swells head on. I was quite suprised at the time so I would imagine you would need a good level of competency if caught in it in a kayak.
BTW Wild Water Kayak Club beside the Strawberry Beds do very cheap basic courses and I imagine a lot of members must have sit ons etc.....
They weren't really around much in ireland when I kayaked.
Best of luck though, can't beat a good day on the water......................... :)

Thanks Globulin77! I was actually looking at doing a course with http://deepblueseakayaking.com/ who are based in Dalkey. I rang them yesterday and they have sit on tops too. What area of Dalkey throws up the bad swells and where does it stop? I'm quite curious as I would like to do some paddling around Killliney and wouldn't want to run into any trouble.

Cheers

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Killiney is usually ok but can give a surf in an easterly . If you launch at the car park and head out towards the yellow buoys . I've went north as far as Whiterock and it was fine . I head out most weeks so whenever your up for it give me a shout.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:25 pm

anthony byrne wrote:Killiney is usually ok but can give a surf in an easterly . If you launch at the car park and head out towards the yellow buoys . I've went north as far as Whiterock and it was fine . I head out most weeks so whenever your up for it give me a shout.

Great, yeh that sounds good! thanks