Getting Started

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi Guys,

I do a lot of shore fishing and I am really interested in the idea of kayak fishing. I was wondering could anyone advise me what I would need to get started and give me a ballpark figure of how much it would cost?

Cheers

Re: Getting Started

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:21 pm

This is my second year kayak fishing . In my opinion at least a twelve foot kayak is the best for sea fishing. I've have been out over 1 mile from shore in all types of weather. A pfd is a must along with at least a wet suit . I personally use a drysuit . I just find it warmer and more comfortable. I paid 650 for my wilderness 135 second hand. I've spent a fair bit between fish finders , hd cameras and trolley systems etc. I'm by no means an expert but if I can help with info I will. My best catch was 30-35 lb Tope in donegal this year

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:33 pm

anthony byrne wrote:This is my second year kayak fishing . In my opinion at least a twelve foot kayak is the best for sea fishing. I've have been out over 1 mile from shore in all types of weather. A pfd is a must along with at least a wet suit . I personally use a drysuit . I just find it warmer and more comfortable. I paid 650 for my wilderness 135 second hand. I've spent a fair bit between fish finders , hd cameras and trolley systems etc. I'm by no means an expert but if I can help with info I will. My best catch was 30-35 lb Tope in donegal this year

Hi Anthony,

Thats great, thanks for the advice! Im sure I will have a few more questions when I look into this a bit more. I have a wetsuit and a GoPro HD camera so thats those out of the way :D

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Can't beat the go pro. Here's one of my latest trips
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C6-rBcrT1M4&feature=youtube_gdata_player. Best of luck with your decision

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:39 am

Cool Video, Looks so peaceful out there! :D I was wondering how do you transport your Kayak? I have a roof rack for my car, would that do the job or would I need a trailer? Cheers

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:27 am

The roof rack on the car be grand. There many different kits for kayaks but I bought your average roof rack and put pipe insulation around the bar. Gives extra grip and prevents scratches to the yak