what a load of pollacks

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

what a load of pollacks

Postby garymaxima » Thu May 31, 2012 4:15 pm

Kayak(s): emotion kayak

Duration: 9-10 hours with a two hour break in between

Tide: up, down and slacks

Weather: mostly stunning, a little windy at times

Bait: soft plastics and hokkais

Rigs: see bait

Results: jumbo sized pollack, too many to count

Report: first off, west cork is a paradise for kayak anglers. did a little bit of rock hopping the first day i was down and when the morning after was calm and the forecast heralded a day that would be grand for the kayak, i grabbed my chance and hit the waves by about 8.00. was in a vast bay and i paddled around for a bit searching for mackerel. wasn't too concerned about them to be honest but i was staying with a group of shore anglers who were looking for some fresh bait. searched around for a good while for some macks but with the fishfinder giving a water temp of 10°c so i wasn't overly optimistic. that and i couldn't get through the giant sandeel that kept hitting the hokkais, some foul hooked, others fair and square on size 2/0's :o :o i ended up getting the lads one solitary mack that they could fight over.

after spending an hour or so jigging for macks, i had been drifting towards the edges of the bay when i spotted a couple of interesting drop offs on the fishfinder and a few huge fish arcs. the hokkais went down to see what they were and the 12lb class rod buckeled. i stuggled to get it to the top where i was greeted by 3 pollack in the 4lb bracket!!!! this continues for about 15 minutes - i'd drop the hokkai and they would come up nearly every time with a pollack of 3-4lb weight on them. sometimes there were two and a couple of times even three of them. it was incredible, like mackerel fishing only the mackerel were good sized pollack.

after about 15 minutes or so i decided to have some proper fun in the form of jelly worms fished on jigheads. i was using the setup i use for spinning for perch or small trout - a 10-30g spinning rod, 8 feet long and a fixed spool reel loaded with 10lb line. i'd cast it away from the yak in the opposite direction to which i was drifting, waited til it hit bottom then payed out a bit more line. pollack were hammering the jelly worms on nearly every retrieve and the craic from them on the light setup was beyond description. the rod would arch over and the reel would sing with the powerful dives, some of them pulling the boat about a bit. the sport was hectic and i honestly have no idea how many i caught - i stopped counting at 30 and that would have been at about 11.30 - 12.00 :shock:

i headed for shore at about 15.00 for a bit of grub and to take it easy for a couple of hours before heading out again. the only sore point of the morning was when two pollack hit the worms so hard that they swallowed them, bled an awful lot and unfortunately went belly up when they were returned. these two casualties were brought ashore, countless fish were released........

with my cameras pinched i had my non "made for watersports" canon out with me and to be fair it didn't come out much at all. very apprehensive about using it on the water so i waited til i landed for lunch to take that pic. back at the house we weighted the fish with them going to 7.10 and 8lb even.

i hit the water in the afternoon at about 18.00 and fished in the same manner, no hokkais this time until sunset. on the menu was more of the same and while the sport was excellent it wasn't quite as hectic as it had been that morning. the stamp of fish were bigger though. i don't carry a scales with me on the kayak but i think i am going to start. two of the pollack i caught could only be described as jumbo-sized. having weighed the 8lber at lunch and taking it's size into account i was catching fish in the afternoon the were getting up to 11/12lb in weight. two of the fish i boated were the length of my leg in the cockpit!! i am 6'2" tall :shock: :shock:

i also hit two fish that no matter what i tried, i could not lift them off the bottom. they broke me after a couple of minutes of heaving and cursing. wasn't to be but i'll be back down after them with stouter gear. i had well over a hundred pollack on the day, for stretches of over an hour it was one a chuck. they ranged from about 1.5lb to 11/12lb. a real red letter day. i'll be straight back down to that area when i get another gopro!!
garymaxima
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 45 times

Re: what a load of pollacks

Postby paul skelly » Thu May 31, 2012 4:29 pm

There monster pollock lad :shock:
A big well done :wink:
Give a man a fire he will be warm for a night,
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Species from the shore 2011:21
Species from the shore 2012:34,
Species from the shore 2013:40
Species from the shore 2014:36
Species from the shore 2015:35
Species from the shore 2016:30
: whiting,pouting,dab,shore rockling,5xb beard rockling,flounder,dogfish,grunt,white sea bream,banded sea bream,black damselfish,blue damselfish, ornate wrasse,lizard fish,sea trout,red gurnard,bass,tornback ray smoothhound,Corkwing wrasse,poor cod,ballon wrasse,cod,pollock,conger,spotted ray,bullhuss,mackerel ,tub gurnard,place,lesser weever,

Wish list: ray
paul skelly
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 257 times

Postby Doberman » Thu May 31, 2012 5:12 pm

I want a kayak now :)
No advertising!
Doberman
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby garymaxima » Thu May 31, 2012 5:18 pm

cheers lads. had bigger on the day but released them. the pair in the picture went belly up after swallowing my lures. had two that were the length of my leg and i'm 6'2" tall!!!! 11/12lb i reckon
garymaxima
SAI Bait Ball

Postby nicefish » Thu May 31, 2012 6:30 pm

That's some going nice one, you must have arms like Popeye to haul them fish in.
The best things in life aren't things.
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby Ashley Hayden » Thu May 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Nice post Gary, Roger landed an 8.4 from the mark we fished the following day.

If you are heading down let me know, I might go with you.

www.anirishanglersworld.com
Ashley Hayden
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 209 times

Postby tex » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:28 am

I'd say your arms are falling off you with those brutes,lovely reading
Species 2012
Whiting,coalies,seatrout,turbot,flounder,bass,rockling
tex
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby tomgrey » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:15 am

:shock: All I can say is, wow, and to do it all sitting on your ass :lol: :lol: Big well done, thats some days sport. I would love to give a fishing kayak a go but I never found normal kayaks very comfortable and thought they might not be either, and thats without trying to haul up a 12lber from the depts. Are the fishing kayaks comfortable?
Species 2012:

Cod, Whiting, flounder, coalfish, bass, pollack, sea trout, poor cod, pouting, dogfish, sea scorpion, 3 bearded rockling, blonde ray, painted ray, turbot.
tomgrey
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby chilly123 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:21 am

Ye very comfortable all depends on the yak your in I have a wilderness yak and the seat is like a car seat :P
chilly123
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 17 times
Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby penfold » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:06 pm

nice fish there Garry, a big differance to the tiddlers you me and Cookie used to get in the Dargle many years ago :lol:
penfold
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby garymaxima » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:30 pm

penfold wrote:nice fish there Garry, a big differance to the tiddlers you me and Cookie used to get in the Dargle many years ago :lol:

big difference indeed. i remember getting sea trout to nearly 6lb out of it though. mind you the fish have a hard time in that river. what does "penfold" translate to in real world names?
garymaxima
SAI Bait Ball

Postby penfold » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:03 pm

garymaxima wrote:
penfold wrote:nice fish there Garry, a big differance to the tiddlers you me and Cookie used to get in the Dargle many years ago :lol:

big difference indeed. i remember getting sea trout to nearly 6lb out of it though. mind you the fish have a hard time in that river. what does "penfold" translate to in real world names?

we all got afew nice fish from it, Cookies 7lb grisele n we lost some nice fish to
it was hard then n worse now.. Go the Newbridge n Lady Goolins :lol:
penfold
SAI Bait Ball

Postby garymaxima » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 pm

penfold wrote:
garymaxima wrote:

we all got afew nice fish from it, Cookies 7lb grisele n we lost some nice fish to

still some bruisers going up it though. a sea trout of 13lb was taken out of it last year. unfortunately it was taken out with a treble hook through its back....
garymaxima
SAI Bait Ball

Postby penfold » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:58 pm

garymaxima wrote:
penfold wrote:
garymaxima wrote:

still some bruisers going up it though. a sea trout of 13lb was taken out of it last year. unfortunately it was taken out with a treble hook through its back....

the"re working at Riversdale deeping the river, its dirtying up the water and flowing down stream,the lads cannt work the park with the lamps and with this weather the last few weeks everyting is getting a good run up the past the park up to the valley without getting slaughtered,just need the fisheries lads to be on their toes in the valley.. jayzus just realised i havent fished that river in bout 10 years :(
penfold
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Yaks Attack!