Sun May 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Kayak(s): 4

Duration:11.30am - 6.30 pm

Tide: Rising

Weather: Cold / warm / windy / calm bit of a mix but stayed dried

Bait: Squid,rag,sand eel,frozen mack

Rigs: All sorts

Results: Thornies,Doggies,Whiting,Dab,Gunard oh ye and a TOPE

Report: It all began very early on Saturday morning got up at 5am had some breakfast, had a chat with the dog and then packed up the rest of the car. On the road and driving for 6.20. One stop along the way made for a 4 hour journey not bad timing. As I got through Londonderry I had a missed call from Graham so I called him back to find there was a change of plans Tullagh was too bad and we were on for TOPE :shock: Graham directed me to the new venue which was a little closer to me so I was there first followed very shortly by Graham and Sean. We parked up and started to get kitted out Sean had everything including the kitchen sink :lol: and Graham was like captain Kirk with a spaceship all rigged up .Nice to finally meet you lads
I remember very clearly asking Graham how far the paddle was and his answer was about 1 mile ! My back side Id say it was easily 2-3 :lol: Some lovely scenery along the paddle .We dropped the feathers in the hope of some fresh mackerel for the tope but there wasnt a tap between us.We got to our mark and dropped our line about 50 metres apart from each other.After a short time the rods began knocking. Graham was first on with a lovely Thorn back and then myself only for Sean to follow with two 8)
Very happy with another species for the hunt ! On we went for another while and then Hurler appeared think he forgot to set his alarm .My rod took a heavy knock and the reel started to peel away lovely I thought a Tope but didnt last long as the line went slack.there was a small consilation on the other rod a dab. So sitting there minding by business when knock again the line is peeling from the reel. :shock: Could this be my first Tope ? I knocked the ratchet off and put it into gear and the battle commenced :twisted: .He came right up to the top of the water he was trashing about and would dive again. Id reel in maybe 10 metres of line and 20 metres would peel back off so I tightened the drag and started to reel to find the reel wasnt engaging WTF Graham came up along side me and we managed to get the Tope onboard . What an adrenaline rush :P A beautiful species
A few photos and we let him back down .Shorly after that I had another thorny slightly bigger than the first
I took to the shore to stretch the legs and got back on the water. I think I had 5 doggies in total one more thorny and two whiting. The lads were kept busy with the thornbacks and doggies but no other tope for the day. Without any doubt the best days fishing ive ever had. Thank you Graham :wink: I look forward to the next time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Donegal Catch (TOPE)

Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 pm

a very big well done a massive catch and great pic.

Sun May 20, 2012 8:14 pm

8) good catch and good report...

Sun May 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Super stuff 8) 8) Sounds like a great day!

Sun May 20, 2012 11:42 pm

anthony thats a great report. defo well worth the trip in the end by all accounts 8) great stuff!
didnt think that yous would have got out in that wind, the sea on the antrim coast was rough as hell on saturday
a fine fish to get from the kayak. big well done

Mon May 21, 2012 11:01 am

Fantastic sport, cogratulations. gotto get me a kayak :idea:

Mon May 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Many thanks for the replies folks. Any one from Donegal, you lucky buggars to have fishing like that close by . Great day it was planning the next trip up already :P

Tue May 22, 2012 5:06 pm

great stuff boss - well worth the trip!!!

i live 45 min away and fish it regularly - its a gem of a spot.

best of luck.

dave

Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 am

well done on the tope lovely fish and great report.