Am I putting myself in danger?

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:42 pm

I've just purcased a 2.9m inflatable(airdeck)Excell, with 3.5 Tohatsu four stroke.
I intend using it on the lakes for pike fishing.
Saying that! I would appreciate advice on using it in Killary and possibly Clew Bay.
Any advice would be a help, if you say I'm crazy, then I will stick to the lakes.

After all I see these brave lads out on the sea in their kayaks and think to myself,"I could do that".
Are kayaks more stable than inflatables, or will I be ok?
I'm not a complete novice to boats, but I know damn well how deep Killary is!

mikado

Re: Am I putting myself in danger?

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 pm

I'll say you get plenty advice here but don't forget pfd, dress appropriate for the weather , tell people how long you going to be and tight lines...

Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:54 am

Take the time and effort to learn how the sea flows in and out of narrow bays when the tide is rising and falling.
Those currents can be fast.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am

I was never out in a boat in Killary but I know from shore fishing it that there is a very fast tide flow in it,I fished it in bad weather but it didn't look too choppy,it has a good bit of shelter from the mountains
the other lads gave some good advice,wear a pfd and look at the tides

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks for the good advice lads, I'm taking it all on board!

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Inflatables tend to be more stable than hardshells, due to their flatter bottoms and width, but are more prone to wind effects - due to their flatter bottom and height above the water.

Take the safety precautions as above, but also make sure you are close to others - just in case anything goes wrong.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:04 pm

follow the steps....1- check weather, never go alone, tell somebody when you r leaving and returning, inform somebody where u will be fishing, make sure the boat contains the following a reliable engine, anchor, vhf radio- be aware that mobile coverage offshore on the west coast is patchy, flares, sea-anchor, spare tools, first aid kit,paddles or oars. as for life-jackets, make sure it is functioning properly, most jackets are rarely checked by their owners-big mistake :( this may seem like alot of stuff to prepare but I have been an rnli crew member on the west coast for 20 years and it is usually the simple most common sense things that get people into trouble. so, prepare well and you will enjoy more :) :)

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for the information lads, I appreciate your help.
When I go fishing off the rocks and beaches on a calm day, it all looks so tempting!
I know from past experience just how dangerous and unpredictable the sea can be.

Mikado