Co.Down Kayak fishing

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi All,

I bought myself an ocean caper kayak last year, and Ive only used it on lakes for bream and tench and a bit of lure fishing, as well as a bit of paddling about the islands in strangford lough. although reasonably close to land i might add

I would like to take it out around bangor or donaghadee, next week (or similar coastline) for a bit of fishing. Any tips from anyone would be great, as Ive never taken it out on the open sea before. Obviously safety is top of the list, I will have a life jacket, but will currents be an issue??

I dont plan to go miles out as such, a bit of lure fishing would be good sport to start with, maybe try for a decent pollack, or plan to jig for a few mackerel.

What is the best way to go about things?? Any ideas would be great so many thanks in advance.

Lastly I was a member of sea-angling-ireland a few years ago, how come you cant access the catch reports and see whats being landed around the country??

Tight lines

Keith

Re: Co.Down Kayak fishing

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:24 pm

There some guys that go about county down, im sure they will see the post, but from what i know about accessing the catch reports you need to have at least 3 posts to access this.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:58 pm

http://..org/forum/index.php try here should give you some help

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi Keith,
I have done a little kayaking around Helens Bay. No problem with currents and plenty of macheral to be caught off Greys point. I have been out to the Copelands in my Warrior and would not recommend it in a kayak as there a re strong currents running in that area. As long as you stay close to the shore you should not have a problem.
Good luck

Hugo