Galway Bay

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Galway Bay

Postby Big Dave » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:33 am

Tide:last 2 hours rising

Bait: lug and macky

Results 22 pollock.

Went for a paddle to a Huss and wrasse mark i fish off the boat, really broken ground. Afer a long paddle anchoerd up with amazing water visibility 20-25 feet. Pestered with small pollock so came in to fish the sand with no success. A great trip but i lost my custom made stainless steel anchor on the rough ground, was just no shifting it was me or the anchor in the end. Trying to post pics not sure if ti will work...

Big Dave
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Galway Bay

Postby mann » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:35 am

Hi Dave,

I have to say you picked a nice day for it and I know what you mean about the clarity of the water in the Bay, my mate took me around there in his boat to show me slips and places to pull up in case I caught out in rough weather,

I was amazed to look down into 20+ft of water and see crabs and baitfish doing there thing, the sea was flat calm on the day much the same as I see in your picture,

He was also going to show me a couple of marks around the islands but the heavy fog early on the day put a stop to that plan, we didn’t complain about that as we were getting a few mackerel / dogs and a thornback so the day turned out grand,

In one of your pictures I think I can see what looks to be the shape of 2 islands would they be inishmore and inishnaan ??

I have never been on any of the islands but this year I plan to make up for that by spending a couple of days fishing over there around June/July and most likely a couple of nights sleeping in the boat,

Would you have any idea of where best to launch from… more to the point where I could leave my van and trailer safe while I’m over there, because more then likely if the fishing is as good as my mate tells me the 2 days may turn into a week,

I would be willing to pay a box of fish to any good land owner to let me park on his property, :)
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby Tanglerat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:20 pm

I've left an anchor behind me on the sea bed, myself.... :oops:
Did you have the anchor rigged to trip?
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby junior conger » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:52 pm

well done for getting out there :D
unlucky about the anchor :cry:
species 2010:20
wishlist:
cod over 5lbs!
a new match rod!!(accomplised k2 red metal!)

west cork and district sac
best fish 2010: 25lb conger eel

SPECIES 2011:= 2 species of rockling, colaie,codling whiting,pollock,gurnanrd,throback ray,grey gurnard
best fish 11 7 pound thornback ray
junior conger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Big Dave » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:19 am

Nope didnt have it rigged to trip really didnt think id need to, but lesson learnt. Hope to be out again this week if i can find a replacement anchor. Will send you on a pm Mann about slips ect when i get a chance, fish the boat out of Barna and would prob have space for your trailer but a long steam to the islands. You prob wanna head out to some of the slips in conemarra to launch retrieve quickly
Big Dave
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby mann » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Great stuff Dave,

I look forward to hearing from you, I will be coming at it from the limerick side but will travel the extra mile to find a safe enough place to leave the van & trailer,

Cheers

Mike.
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 41 times

Return to Yaks Attack!