marks in clew bay

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:17 am

hi can anyone point me to some good marks please . I be in a kayak all advice most welcome..

Re: marks in clew bay

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:49 am

what do you want to fish for paul?

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Fish I'd imagine ;) I might be in Westport myself next weekend, might get the ould yak out myself

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Cormdogg wrote:Fish I'd imagine ;) I might be in Westport myself next weekend, might get the ould yak out myself

smartarse!! :D wanna meet up for a session?

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Fishing will not be great this time of year, even from a kayak.

Best option would be to go further west and launch from the Old Head outside Louisburgh and work your way west along the rocks and margins. Its sandy underneath further out.

I would not be bothered with any marks further in as they will only hold pin whiting, fingerling pollack and flats this time of year, and most of them will be half starved...

The other option is to head north, out to Malranny, launch off the pier and head west along the rocks. Chance of a bass in the bays here in winter - slim but they are there. You can go as far west as Achill Beag, where you can pick up sea trout around the "corners" where there are rips and edddy pools created by the emptying of the Sound. Only works on the ebb.

Hope this helps...

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 pm

thanks a million kieran i will try old head and achill beag over the next couple of weeks and see how i get on

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Yeah I do actually! Hows about Lecanvey Pier or Old Head Saturday. Me and a buddy driving over on Friday. Ill check tides, Sat morning or Sat evening?