Kayak Fishing Singapore– 03 Dec 09 – Cuda on the Kayak II

Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Managed to leave work in good time today so shot off on a Grouper hunt! Arrived at the launch site and …horror of horrors – SAND FLIES!!!! These little blighters wasted no time in finding my skin and sunk their little teeth in. I had to run into the sea to cover my skin in salty water! I’m still itching now!

It was nearing low tide and I got onto the water as quick as I could to get away from the little vampires!

The water was 27 degrees and it seems to have affected the fish. I did a lot of paddling and a lot of casting lures, but not one bite! As darkness fell, I was still a long way from the launch site, but I had an all round white light set up on one rod tip, so I was kinda legal. I was paddling back close to the shore and lots of small fish were jumping out the water all around me. Some were bouncing off the kayak and one hit me in the chest and landed on my lap! This was a small Todak, but I don’t know what the other fish were. They were all over the place.

I kept stopping and casting, casting, casting, but not one bite so decided enough was enough. I threw out my trusty old green Stump Jumper and trolled back. A few minutes later, I felt a strong pull. For a moment, I thought the lure was stuck, but then line started to fly off against quite a tight drag! As I grabbed the rod, line was still peeling off and the kayak started to turn. As I was winding line back on, the fish on the other end was going deeper. Big strong deep runs had me wondering what was on the other end! Every time I managed to get some line back, the fish took off again. This continued for some time and slowly I managed to get the fish closer. As it neared the yak I was peering into the murky water to see what it was, but with a big swoosh, it went down again. Not so deep this time and the line started to change angle and come up level with the water. The fish finally surfaced and only now could I see the beast!

That eye is almost the same size as my reel!!

After the photo session, I tried to weigh it, but my arm just wasn’t long enough. The boga was showing somewhere near 15lbs with the tail still in the water! I lowered it back into the water and let it flare its gills a few times to get the water flowing through again. After releasing the grip, I grabbed its tail and pushed the beast back and forth. Then with a few kicks, it swam back down into the darkness.

My heart was PUMPING!!!!

My biggest fish on the yak so far and certainly the best fight I have had from a fish!

Re: Kayak Fishing Singapore– 03 Dec 09 – Cuda on the Kayak II

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:35 am

Great fish Ian, good buzz!
The water was 27 degrees and it seems to have affected the fish

27 degrees water temp! is this colder or warmer than usual :shock:
Nice pictures.
Is there still good deals on tackle out there? I remember most of the tackle shops were located very close together...beach road and the street close by if my memory is correct :D

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:40 am

WOW! You've got a good memory Jim! Yep - Beach Road is my favorite shopping district - about 10 tackle shops in 1km!

It's normally 29 degrees surface temp, but we have had a lot of rain lately, so it has taken the temp down.

These bloody sandfly bites itch like hell, but I'm still buzzing from last night!

Cheers!

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:54 am

Hey IDPearl, this is great stuff! Congratulations on catching cuda. This sounds like good adventure, you have to admit that darkness is making very special ambience while fishing :)