26/27 Sept and 03 October - off Singapore again..

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

26/27 Sept and 03 October - off Singapore again..

Postby IDPearl » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:36 pm

Kayak Fishing – 26/27 Sept - Sentosa & Special Spot

I was a Lone Ranger on Tanjung Beach early on Saturday morning. Once more, faced with a choice of left or right. On the left is Pulau Tekukor (Turtle Dove Island) - one of the Southern Islands of Singapore. The island was also known as Pulau Penyabong and is also the site of a former ammunition dump. Beyond that is St. John’s Island where I know the currents are too fierce for kayaking. Conscious of being on my own, I opted for the safer journey to the right, past the Southernmost Point of Singapore and the wooden huts of “The Songs of the Sea” show.

Southernmost Point of Singapore

“The Songs of the Sea”

Once I arrived at the huts, I thought I’d drop a line down for some bait fish. The rod tip danced as the bait hit and then bent over as something bigger took hold. As the line shot off to one direction, the load felt lighter and lighter and then to the surface came one small Queen fish on the last remaining hook! I guess there must have been a few of them waiting down there!

I put her back in, but the next drop was the same, so I cast out a rubber lure which was instantly taken by a flying Queenie, but spat out again as she danced. The next 4 casts were the same, but without a solid hook-up. After this, I couldn’t get a take on other lures, so moved over to the small island in front of the showground. Here I hooked up a beautiful reef fish, which could not get the whole hook in its greedy mouth.

Time was now running out, so I had to get back and look forward to tomorrow’s trip.

Sunday was an early 6am meeting with Mervin at the tackle shop in Yishun to buy some live prawn. Once our temptations were in the back, we headed back to the car and were surprised to see Boon driving up. He was heading out on a solo mission to try out his new fishfinder, so asked if he could join us. Introduced him to Merv and away we went, just as it started to rain!!

Luckily, the rain was only a brief passing shower and the sky soon cleared. As we reached the first spot, nothing was showing on the finders, but we stopped for a while to see if any fish were passing by. I had a take and up shot a Giant Herring – Phtooi – spat the hook! DANG!!!

Merv & I anchored in the same spot, but Boon was drifting about 30 meters away. Boon said he was showing fish, so we tightened our grip on the rods and waited for some fishy action to come our way. Next time I looked over, Boon’s rod was bent over….FISH ON!! Out leapt a Herring! Lucky bugger! We’ve had several takes of Herring at this spot, but always thrown the hook as they leap up out of the water. But Boon’s fish was on tight and would surely come to the yak. As I paddled over, Boon brought up the fish and for the first time, we could see one of them up close.

This was Boon’s 3rd trip on the yak and 2nd good fish!

Next to bend was my rod and up shot another Herring. Phtooi – spat the hook again!! The next 3 takes were the same! I changed to some smaller hooks and put them as a double hook rig on a long hook length – both hooks into one prawn. I guess the prawn didn’t like this much, so my apologies to the prawn. My rod tip took a big dive and a strong pull was taking line under my yak. I tightened the drag and pulled back. If this was a herring, it was a bloody big one! As I retrieved line, the swivel showed, but I still couldn’t see the fish! The water was quite dark, but I was half expecting to see the silver of a Barramundi. What then showed its face was a big smiling Catfish! This was a big fish which swirled around and took another dive, followed by another and another. Slowly I lifted it’s head out of the water and brought it closer to get the lip-grip on. 7lbs on the Boga – GOTCHA!!

After a few photo’s, released the pussy, changed the rig (the other was covered in slime) and dropped back down for some more fishy action. Once again, fish showed on the finder and my rod tip took a dive, but this didn’t feel like a Catfish or Herring. This one was tugging and I at first thought it was a snapper, but as the fish came up, it was a small Orange Spotted Grouper – a surprise visitor to this spot! He almost looked as surprised as I was!

He went back in and said thank you with a splash of his tail. Next up was Mervin with a nice Ang Cho.

Another bend on my rod and a few good strikes from me to set the hook. The Herring shot out and…..stayed on! Yaaahoooo!!!! Finally!!

These are a beautiful fish, but are supposed to have a lot of bones, so people don’t like them much. Unfortunately, you have to put them back quickly too, or they quickly die from stress. This one was bleeding from the gills, so went into the bag. I guess I’ll find out how many bones they have!

A little while later and my rod dipped again, line peeling off to one side. Set the hook again and out jumps another Herring. The line went slack as it fell back to the water, but then tightened again – still on! Out she came for a photo shoot, but this was bleeding more than the first, so I now have 2 Herring in the bag. OK, enough of Herring already, but they are good fun to catch!

Cheers,

Ian
Last edited by IDPearl on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: 26/27 Sept, off Singapore again..

Postby Richie07 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Very nice..am over there in a the couple of weeks, have been there a few times but never managed to fish off Singapore, do you know anywhere I can rent out gear or maybe get out in a boat?
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office!
Richie07
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby eyesreilly » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:24 pm

Great report,took me far away for a few minutes,thanks, really enjoyed reading it :wink:
Species '20 (14) 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Codling, Whiting, Pollock, Coalfish, Pouting, Corkwing Wrasse ,Ballan Wrasse, Poor Cod, Dab ,Smoothhound,Flounder, Thornback Ray

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING! --
eyesreilly
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 463 times
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby IDPearl » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:27 am

Hi Richie,

You can have a look on the local fishing forum http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/index.php to give you an idea of what is around. Depending on which date you are over here, I can sort out a kayak for you and lend you some tackle. I may also be able to get you out on a boat - depending on who is looking for a spare body.

You can contact me on +65 96452454, but do give me a few days notice so I can try to organize something.

If you are here on 16/17 Oct, my friend is taking some people out kayak fishing - he has 2 spare yaks.
If you are into distance casting, there is a comp on the 18th Oct - I will be in that comp, so no fishing for me on that day.

Most of the fishing is from $50 to $70 a day (Singapore $$).

The shore fishing sucks - that's why I bought the yak!
Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Richie07 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:24 pm

IDPearl wrote:Hi Richie,

You can have a look on the local fishing forum http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/index.php to give you an idea of what is around. Depending on which date you are over here, I can sort out a kayak for you and lend you some tackle. I may also be able to get you out on a boat - depending on who is looking for a spare body.

You can contact me on +65 96452454, but do give me a few days notice so I can try to organize something.

If you are here on 16/17 Oct, my friend is taking some people out kayak fishing - he has 2 spare yaks.
If you are into distance casting, there is a comp on the 18th Oct - I will be in that comp, so no fishing for me on that day.

Most of the fishing is from $50 to $70 a day (Singapore $$).

The shore fishing sucks - that's why I bought the yak!

Nice one..as it happens I am over on those dates 16/17, so will give you a shout a few days before to see if I can make it. Good luck with the comp.
Cheers.
R.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office!
Richie07
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby gfkelly1969 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:37 am

nice to see some of the different species of fish from around the world,great report and lovely photos
lifetime species fishing and rock pool
1 dogfish,2 whiting,3 flounder,4 two spot goby,5 mackerel,6 pollack,7 common blenny,8 European eel,9 butterfish,10 Deep-snouted pipefish,11 rock goby,12 poor cod,13 corkwing wrasse,14 coalfish,15 turbot,16 tompot blenny,17 dab,18 dragonet,19 shorerockling,20 thornback ray,21 three bearded rockling,22 sandeel,23 grey gurnard,24 sea scorpion,25 scad,26 plaice,27 ballen wrasse,28 bullhuss,29 conger eel,30 blue shark,31 blonde ray,32 cod,33 pouting,34 topknot,35 Fifteen-spine Stickleback,36 mullet,37 Sand Goby,38 Montagu's Blenny,39 Three-spined Stickleback,40 goldshinny wrasse,41 painted goby,42 five bearded rockling,43 Sand-Smelt,44 Small-headed Clingfish ,45 sole

http://clifdenfishing.webs.com

http://clifdensearay.webs.com/
gfkelly1969
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 223 times

Postby petekd » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Tis a long way from flounder bashing in Youghal Ian..... :D Great report, great pics. Fair play for taking the time, always an interesting read.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby IDPearl » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:31 am

I do miss the flounder! I also miss the cod off da wall & The Bailey Lighthouse in Howth!

Kayak Fishing – 03 October – Diamond fever!!

WOW!!! What an exiting day we had today!!

Met up early with Mervin & Mathew to get some prawns and ready for the off. Arrived at the launch site about 6.30am and saw a large flock of birds circling around. “Must be a good sign!” said Mathew. “Must mean there are loads of fish around today!”

“Yeah, they represent big shoals of fish!” I replied with a chuckle.

Wasting no time today – rising tide, nice and calm. Bait loaded into the tubes and off we went. We hadn’t paddled very far and fish started to show on the finder. I started off using Berkley Gulp – Nuclear Chicken flavour artificial bait today. Instantly had a fish on – a Herring shot out of the water – PHTOOI!! Spat the rubber back out again!

Never mind – dropped back down again and could feel some more nibbles. Rod tip dipped, line zoomed off, wait for it…..wait for it…..STRIKE! Up shoots another Herring…..PHTOOI!!!! Spits the rubber out again!!

Down again and after a few more casts, something bigger took the bait. Rod is now bent over in a deep C shape and line is being dragged off. ZZZZZzzzZZZZZzzzZZZZ…..BOINK!! FISH OFF!! DANG!!! That was a good fish!!!

“Lots of fish under me!” exclaimed Merv. “Lots of fish…>FISH ON!!! WOOOHOOO!!”

Merv took his time and up comes his first Herring!

Mathew had come over now and soon he had some Herring jumping out around him, happily spitting out the hooks as they leapt out of the water!

About 5 minutes later, Merv was into a good fish. No aerobatics this time tho – just line being pulled off in every direction. “Oh oh! – It’s going around the anchor rope!” shouts Merv. “HELP!!”

I was anchored about 20 meters away, so Mathew paddled in for the rescue. After a few exciting moments, the net went down and in there lies a nice Chermin! Way to go Merv!

That’s it, off with the rubber and on with the live prawn!

Next in was Merv again….and then Mathew a few seconds later. They were a bit close and the fish decided to team up. Both round the anchor rope this time!! Patience prevailed and both fish came up into the net.

My rod then dipped and line started to peel off. Wait,….wait….STRIKE! FISH ON!!! Boy these fish are strong! As line came back on, the fish showed its silver and came up in big circles. You beauty!!!

I paddled around to see where the fish were and suddenly, a large black column came up on the fish finder and the depth started to flash. Oh no…my fish finder must be faulty! Oh no it isn’t – FISH ON!!!! They were FISH!!! A big column of them! Once again, Merv was also in and the fish once again found their way to his anchor rope! Mathew to the rescue again and managed to get both fish in the net at the same time.

We all had a few more takes and fish coming in, one by one. My only other species for the day was another pussy – 5lb on the Boga. Put her back in after a quick foto and carried on with the hunt.

After trying a few more spots, time was up for me, so we laid out the fish for a total count and I left the other two to carry on fishing!

Fishtastic day again!!

Most of the fish were caught in the first two hours btw!! The backgounds have been greyed out to protect the spots - they were also posted on a local forum.

Cheers,

Ian
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby The Austrian » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:21 am

these are beautiful fish, well done for getting a few and super report as always 8) :)
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Re: 26/27 Sept and 03 October - off Singapore again..

Postby chrisfeeney30 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:46 pm

just saw this report, amazing fishing!the fish are beautiful! thanks for the repost! enjoyed it!
Galway Bay S.A.C member 2012
chrisfeeney30
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby MAC » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Just noticed this one myself....

Cracking report Ian. Some really nice fishing there, your best day out yet I think.

Thanks for taking the time, as always a great read.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby IDPearl » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:21 am

Thanks guys.

The following weekend was even more fun, with some more Chermin, Barramundi and Giant Herring.

Josh came out in his Hobie IS12 - with the pedal power Mirage Drive! This thing is awesome! I had a race and although he was a little faster than me, the fact that he was peddling and I was paddling, meant he could keep a top speed longer than I could.

I caught him half way through a Chermin fight...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q28KF0ETOQg

The weather has turned sour now - monsoon season. The surface temp has dropped to 27oC and it affects the fishing, as more fresh water comes in and disturbs the fish. We now have a neap tide in the morning and a spring tide in the afternoon! Gonna try and get out Wednesday evening and hit a real low tide in the search for big Groupers! Just need to think of a good excuse to get out from work early!

Cheers,

Ian
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby m.b3 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:05 pm

lovely report Ian some fantastic looking fish. lucky you! we were fishing in hailstones last night :D
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby IDPearl » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Ah, but I still miss fishing off the Bailey with you mate! Looooooooong time no see!

I don't miss fishing in sub-zero temps and hailstones tho! :lol: :lol: :lol:
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby m.b3 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:13 pm

well if you're ever over this way again we can hit it. rumour has it the cod are a lot bigger now that you have left 8) :lol:
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Return to Yaks Attack!