Singapore 26 July - Beauty!!

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Singapore 26 July - Beauty!!

Postby IDPearl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:40 am

"So, what time do you want to start tomorrow?" I said.
"The earlier the better....6am" my kayak buddy says.
"Oh, OK" says a reluctant me!

I had been feeling lousy all week with the flu (dunno if it was H1N1 - doc says they don't test everyone now, but more than 1 in 3 people with the flu are H1N1 positive!). Anyway, I'm still alive and another early start won't kill me.

Arlam goes off at 5am after quite a restless night. I didn't sleep too well, probably thinking about fishing too much! I didn't go out yesterday as I thought I'd better rest for a day. 5:35, out to the car, sorted a few bits out and sent off an SMS - "Just leaving now!"

6am arrive at Yishun Dam and get a text message back - "Just woke up!" WHAT??!!!
> "Loser!"
< "Hahaha!"

6.30am, buddy arrives, but the weather doesn't look good! It had been raining before he left his place, though I was still dry. Called up the weather and it sounded horrible - rain, thunderstorms and strong winds for the next 3 hours! So we waited until the light came and we could see the clouds. As we were already there, and I had been set-up since 6:15, we decided we should risk it and see how it went.

As we paddled on, the dawn started to dry up some of the dark clouds and a ray of hope started to shine.

Off to the fishing grounds we paddled and let battle commence.

Hadn't been there for long - maybe half an hour - and I had a huge take! ZZZZ, ZZZZ - line struggled to be pulled off my full drag as I wound in as hard as I could! "FISH ON, FISH ON!!" I shouted. "WOOOHOOO - BIG FISH - BIG FISH!!!

Still cranking the handle and trying to pump the rod, damn this fish has some power.

Finally I saw her coming up a beautiful dark red...."IT'S A MANGROVE JACK!!!"...."WOOHOOOOOO!". "Bloody hell, IT'S HUGE!!"

I daren't bring it in to use the lip grip, so held it's head out, hanging off the lure and grabbed the net. A quick flick and the the net opened up ready. GET IN THERE!!!

My buddy came alongside to assist and reached in with his boga-grip. Locked on and carefully cleared her of the net for a photo shoot..

5lbs on the Boga - Well worth not sleeping for!!

After all this excitement, we carried on trying for number two.

Casting and casting, trying different spots, depths and terrain, led to only one more fish, a small catfish for my buddy. So "head on home" was the joint decision.

Cheers!!

Ian
Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Singapore 26 July - Beauty!!

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:49 am

You really seem to be getting some great fishing in there recently, 8) what lure did you get that one one, looks like a Halco but I cant remember the name of it. :? I really like some of their lures its pity you don't seem to be able to get them over here. I was over in Singapore for a few days a couple of weeks ago, just breaking up the journey to OZ, I'm beginning to wish I'd done a bit of fishing while I was over there now but the closest thing to fishing I did was a trip to Beach Rd to stock up on bits and pieces. Next time I'll have to do some fishing. :wink:
Dave
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 7 times

Re: Singapore 26 July - Beauty!!

Postby IDPearl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi!

It's a Halco Poltergeist 90mm 5M+ depth. Really like these lures!

As for the fishing, I'm getting better! Fishing off a kayak is totally different to the shore fishing I used to do. Just hope I can keep finding the fish!

Cheers,

Ian

This is a Queenfish on a Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow

Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Return to Yaks Attack!