Handheld marine vhf radio.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 pm

What spec would you need for a kayak hand held radio...
What is channel zero?
How much would you expect to pay?
Do you need a licence?
Last edited by dunner on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Handheld marine vhf radio.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:35 pm

What spec would you need for a kayak hand held radio..
better to get a 5 watt or higher,the higher the watt the better range you have,vhf works by line of site so when you are low to the water you would need the extra power

What is channel zero? its for Private and coast guard in the uk,i assume you want the radio for safety should any thing happen to you then what you need is a radio with channel 16,all marine radios have channel 16 as this is the international distress, safety and calling channel,all boats and the coast guard watch this channel

How much would you expect to pay,some start at around 50 euro but you are better to spend 100 plus and get a good waterproof one,100 or 200 euro is not a lot if it saves your life

Do you need a license?yes you need a Short Range Certificate (SRC) license

read more on the link below

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15442

http://www.nmci.ie/index.cfm/page/gmdssshortrangecerti

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks for that,
If i said ....what about a mobile phone in a water proof holder...only for very inshore stuff.....
Would i qualify for being shot with a ball of my own S**te............
:shock:

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:30 pm

dunner wrote:Thanks for that,
If i said ....what about a mobile phone in a water proof holder...only for very inshore stuff.....
Would i qualify for being shot with a ball of my own S**te............
:shock:

you wont get shot,you would just end up as a ball of fish S**te after you drown trying to call the coast guard on the mobile phone
any time i am fishing i cant even call for a lift home,the phone never works
i can imagine you on the phone saying hello coast guard and then hearing you have just run out of credit or beep beep as the battery died

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:35 pm

ouch!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 pm

oh ya.... last question... will a radio bought from the uk work here?
Have no clue about the tec spec's on these things.........
:oops: :roll:

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:44 pm

I would defo get a vhf I dont know alot about them but as said above try get a 5w waterproof/submersable radio.I have a standard horizon vhf which i use on my kayak, icom radios are a great quality radio also. No point in forking out hundreds or even thousands for a kayak or boat and then not spending a few bob on a good radio which can save your life.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Thanks for the info lads!

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:58 pm

uk bought radios will be fine :)

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:01 pm

dunner wrote:oh ya.... last question... will a radio bought from the uk work here?
Have no clue about the tec spec's on these things.........
:oops: :roll:

it will work no problem,all marine radios worldwide use 156.800mhz/channel 16 as the emergency channel,i brought my marine radio from china and it works perfect here

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:15 pm

gd wrote:I would defo get a vhf I dont know alot about them but as said above try get a 5w waterproof/submersable radio.I have a standard horizon vhf which i use on my kayak, icom radios are a great quality radio also. No point in forking out hundreds or even thousands for a kayak or boat and then not spending a few bob on a good radio which can save your life.

kenwood,Icom,cobra,motorola,Yaesu are all good makes

a good life jacket or flotation suit and a marine radio will cost less then 200 euro,i got a flotation suit and marine radio for shore fishing for less then what i paid for one of the rods i have

i feel a bit safer when i am fishing on my own