double or single seat kayak?

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:18 pm

If you use a tandem kayak like an ocean malibu,
and you use it alone you are seated not in the middle, but near the rear of the kayak.
Question is, will this effect stability and performance of the yak.
I weigh about13.5 stone.
It would be nice to take the kids out, but that would only be now and again.
On a single yak like the prowler 13, would you fit a 6year old on it for a small spin in calm conditions?

Re: double or single seat kayak?

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:05 pm

I wouldn't imagine it would affect stability.

But I hear they are a pig to paddle on you own.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:40 am

Paddling on the double seater will be fine if you are sitting in the middle. If you sit at the rear you can expect the bow to rise a fair bit and depending on the wind, you may have to work harder with the paddles to stay on a steady route.

Obviously if you add some weight to the front (I use a 20l tub full of water) or opt for longer paddles you will track a straight course. I fish on a Scooter Gemini which is slightly narrower than the malibu but I have been fishing on it for three years now without any difficulty. When the fishing gear is off the gemini I take my two kids on the water.

The main difficulties you may find if you opt for a single seaters is the lack of comfort for an additional person and the restriction in paddling strokes.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:51 pm

What is the best time of year to buy a kayak for a good deal? also, what is a good kayak for a beginner? What is the best time to buy a kayak in the midwest area?Also....i am a completely new beginner in the kayaking world. What is a cheap but not crappy kayak that would be a good deal for me. should i get a used kayak and if so where would i find one? i dont want something really fancy and i dont want something flimsy and weak.
Last edited by kamberliya on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:34 pm

I still have a kayak for sale it was my beginners kayak

photo posted on early advert in this section