Portnoo 2 days

Fri May 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Kayaks: Heritage.

Tides : outgoing/low.

Rigs hokai

Bait: Rag

Results: Wrasse, wrasse and more wrasse.

Report:

Day 1
Started of a nice day and I fished the kelp beds as much as I could, But to no avail,
When the tide cleared out I had all but given up hope.

Tied myself up to a buouy not too far from the shore 'cause the wind was picking up.
After 5 mins a nice little pull came with the tell tale wrasse dive. As fish came closer to the boat I could see it was my first cuckoo wrasse, which promptly came off the hook at the side of the boat,

Fished on, but It took another while before I got a byte. But thank god at last a ballen came to the boat

After that, the fishing was frantic. Wrasse after wrasse . Didn't take pictures of the rest 'cause they were all the same size and I don't like keeping them out of the water too long.

I did catch one wrasse that I thought might be a different species, he had little green spots on his body

Anyone know if this is a ballan or another species?
Will get a few more days out before the weekend is over.

Day 2:
Swell had died down today, but the south easterlies were pushing onshore at about 35mph and stiring up the calm water

Fished anchored up and on the drift with drogue (didn't slow me down much) to no avail.

Eventually wind picked up so much that I was getting soaked from spray.
Picked up a 2lb'er from the shore

Stay tuned for day 3 and 4. Weather permitting!!!
Last edited by anthony2carr on Fri May 29, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Portnoo 28/05

Fri May 29, 2009 3:22 pm

that whole headland is magical, I can't wait to do some exploring along that coast, a box of lures, float & fresh lively rag will be awsome :D

Fri May 29, 2009 4:24 pm

what kind of clothing does one wear, when on a kayak?

Dry cell neoprene? Waders?
Kinda mulling the whole kayak thing over in me head.........

Fri May 29, 2009 4:59 pm

That was a full wetsuit with booties I was wearing above.

Wetsuit; 85 yo yos
Booties: 35 .

Fri May 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Drysuit for me, thermal undersuit for cold weather action, neoprene gloves and shoes.

Re: Portnoo 2 days

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:39 pm

im seriously considering getting a kayak soon enough. I love the idea of getting out and exploring the coastline.