launching Wheels

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

launching Wheels

Postby evan020507 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:11 am

Firstly i would like to say many thanks for all of those who have replied to my posts s far the inflatable is looking good for the new year with mosts bits complete (safety bits, anchor, life jacket) and deposit on an outboard. I am thinking of getting a launching trailer as although its not too far from where the dinghy would be inflated to the water I will be fishing alone and do not want to damage it.

I have seen wheels which can be semi fixed to the transom but are unsure of these as was considering adapting a kayak launching trolley like the eckla ones does anyone have any advice?
evan020507
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: launching Wheels

Postby anthony2carr » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:31 am

I use the following for my kayak
http://www.h2okayaks.com/unitrader/shop ... -Cart-/130

I see absoloutely no reason why you couldn't use it for your inflatable. If you put some rocks infront of the wheels it's simply a matter of sliding the boat up onto the mounts and tieing off. I pushed my kayak the 3 miles to my local lake no bother. The ties are more than long enough for an inflatable.
anthony2carr
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby evan020507 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks a million Anthony thats what i was thinking and they also fold up pretty flat just means could get to a few more marks now. 3 Miles is a long trek but guess would be worth it if the fishing is right!
evan020507
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Matt Bass » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:09 pm

I use wheels that attach to the transom and are designed for inflatables like yours. They are easy to attach/ detatch and can be stored in the boat once you have launched. Mine are ones designed to fit zodiacs / bombards and only needed me to attach a couple of small brackets to the transom using a drill. They are about 7" in diameter and a pneumatic tyre about 4cm across. i can wheel the 3.1m boat with an 8hp engine plus fuel etc etc all loaded aboard up and down a steep slipway and over 50m of soft harbour sand to the water at low tide with moderate to high degree of exertion - but its a heck of a lot easier than carying each individually down! I would'nt know whether the Yak wheels would be as good an option as they dont fix and the stern forming as second class lever (like a wheel barrow) when you lift the bow end of the boat, so making it easier to lift the weight.
Matt Bass
SAI Lug Worm

Postby evan020507 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi, thanks for the advice two different answers but no doubt they both work, Matt have seen some of these on ebay and just wondered if they weakened the transom, admit after you mention can wheel the whole lot withengine etc down then these would definately be handy.

Are they easy to fit and how much do you reckon they should cost etc???
evan020507
SAI Lug Worm

Postby silversurfers » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:43 pm

I use a lifting trolley from builders centre. placing it flat with a 5ft plank placed (covered with a camping mat) at the base to lift my 3metre inflateable and 8hp four stroke above the wheels(pneumatic wheels). I place the boat on it and use two straps through the frame and around the boat - works perfectly. Trolley cost £17.95 :lol: . Just walk the trolley back to the car. Have also fitted slightly oversized roofrack to my car, this enables me to put boat on the roof the night before fishing.
silversurfers
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Yaks Attack!