Shannon - Lough Derg area fishing

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Shannon - Lough Derg area fishing

Postby LOVE BITES » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi All,
Myself and a group of lads are heading to Banagher this weekend to rent a cruiser for a few days (Fathers Day Treat!!!) . I wondering does anyone have any advice on what sort of gear we should bring e.g. spinning rods or fly rods ?, and the type of tackle options e.g. plugs, spinners...?
I have no idea what sort of fish can be caught, so all advice would be much appreciated.
"This is 'really' my last cast, Promise!"
LOVE BITES
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby MAC » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:13 am

Hey KEn,

You won't be able to take the cruiser into any of the bays, but you should be able to get close enough. If you have some heavy spinning rods....15g-15g or 20g-60g 9 or 10 foot you will be fine...... get some deep diving plugs in a few different colours. The Rapala Jointed Shad Raps are a very good bet as well. Chuck these out behine you and troll slowly up the lake. You can also cast them if you can get close to a bay.

Without getting too much into it, you should be able to get a few fish. Be careful though.....pike fishing is very addictive :D

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby LOVE BITES » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:52 am

Thanks Kev,
I have an assortment of stuff including a Fly rod and set of flies. Tied my first Fly leader last night (god bless Google) and my first fly, so I'm dying to hit the water. I also have a couple of lures (no split ones :cry: ) to try also with my spinning rod. If I was going to try ground feeding, what sort of bait should I use?, or if I was going to use a float what type of bait?
"This is 'really' my last cast, Promise!"
LOVE BITES
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

pike in the sea!

Postby kieran » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi guys

Right at the top above Sea Angling Ireland, you will see the link to the relatively new Pike Angling community forums. Might get more there...

FWIW
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Chris Mc » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:21 pm

If you are thinking of trying your ahnd at a bit of fly fishing make sure you get yoursel a few "grey wolfs" fish these as an indicator on the top dropper with one or two nymphs or buzzers below and you should have a good chance of fish at the evening rise. The grey wolf kills on the derg even after the may fly are all gone.

Tight Lines
Life is always getting in the way of my fishing....
Chris Mc
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Shannon - Lough Derg area fishing

Postby dan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:38 pm

if your after trout i'd fish the fly early in the morn and spinners through the day.
for pike use large pike flies in the shallow bays spinners in the afternoon and deadbait in the evenin.
trust me follow this and you'll catch fish, ive been a coarse angler since i was 4....
Lure caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Poor Cod, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Bass, SeaTrout, Grey Gurnard, Scad, SandSmelt, Red Gurnard, Launce, Lesser Sandeel, Rock Goby, Black Goby, Shanny, Mackerel, Herring, Dragonet, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, GoldSinney Wrasse, Lesser Weaver, Butterfish, Perch, Pike

Fly Caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Whiting, Mackerel, Sea Trout, Brown Trout, Perch, Roach

Biggest Fish of 2014-15lb Conger Eel

Total Species 2014-39 Sea
9 FW
dan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Danny M. » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Holy Thread revival Batman :!:
Danny M.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Viper » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Ah sure I'll keep it going so... on a sidenote Dan, how pray tell did you managed to catch a lamprey???
Viper
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby dan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:40 pm

NET
Lure caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Poor Cod, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Bass, SeaTrout, Grey Gurnard, Scad, SandSmelt, Red Gurnard, Launce, Lesser Sandeel, Rock Goby, Black Goby, Shanny, Mackerel, Herring, Dragonet, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, GoldSinney Wrasse, Lesser Weaver, Butterfish, Perch, Pike

Fly Caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Whiting, Mackerel, Sea Trout, Brown Trout, Perch, Roach

9 FW
dan
SAI Megalodon!

Postby WrasseBasher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:15 pm

or the goldfish / golden orfe for that matter dan, are ya fishing in your pond :lol: :lol: :lol:
i have a trawler booked so i can net all sorts and stick them on my species list.
also theres a session in my fish tank next week you can catch angels, cardinals ,clown loach, cory doras, ram cichlids and many more just arrive early too get a seat as space is limited :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
SPECIES 2010 (16)
COD..POLLOCK..LING..POUTING..COALIE..POOR COD..WHITING..GREY GURNARD..DAB..FLOUNDER..SMOOTHHOUND..DOGFISH
MACKEREL..TWAITE SHAD..BALLAN WRASSE..CUCKOO WRASSE..
WrasseBasher
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby dan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:58 pm

got the golden orfe at toomans fishery, near dromod county rosscommon.

9 FW
dan
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Al » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:37 pm

dan wrote:got the golden orfe at toomans fishery, near dromod county rosscommon.

Hi Dan whats that fisheries like up there? I spend a good bit of time up in Roosky the town just before Dromod didn't know there was a fisheries there :? I knew there was one in Roosky all right called Lakelands nice fisheries too :) But i prefer the Pike fishing in the Shannon to tell you the truth, plenty of big bream, roach, hybrids and perch around there..have heard that the quieter bays on the shannon and the smaller lake have Tench in them too :)
Al
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 112 times

Postby dan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:11 pm

toomans is quite good. had 14 bream and hybrids, 1 orfe, 2 carp to 6Ibs and countless roach, rudd and skimmers.
lakelands my favourite, one day last year i had 20 tench, 4 carp, 2 bream and 3 hybrids with the biggest bing 6Ibs 4oz.
this year i tried the pole fishin at it and got 14 tench, 6 carp, 12 rudd, 22 roach, 2 hybrids and a bream.
last time i was at it a fella got a 12 and 3 quarter pound carp.
couple of years ago i had a 7.5Ib tench. nice fish!!

9 FW
dan
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Al and Jordan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:16 am

WrasseBasher wrote: theres a session in my fish tank next week you can catch angels, cardinals ,clown loach, cory doras, ram cichlids and many more just arrive early too get a seat as space is limited
:

LMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!! Dan, seriously man. you gotta get your uncle drew to get you a digital camera for christmas mate
Al and Jordan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 415 times

Postby dan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:26 pm

got one just hardly carry it.

9 FW
dan
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Yaks Attack!