Killer Whale

Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Just heard a report of a Killer Whale spotted off Inishturk in Co Mayo??

I'm not to sure of the reliability of the source but if it's true that would be some sight!!

Colin

Fri May 16, 2008 12:54 am

There was indeed, six animals in total.

Have a look at this link for more details
[url=http://www.iwdg.ie/iscope/sightings/details.asp?id=11556]Irish Whale and Dolphin Group[/url]

Killer Whale

Fri May 16, 2008 9:34 am

i remember one came up the river foyle years ago think it was in 1977, there was a very large salmon run on the river at that time, and they reckoned he had fallowed them up the river. as far as i can remember it was a large male, and he settled him self in at the corner of craigavon bridge. everyday the bridge was packed with people taking photos of it, in the paper he was named Dopey Dick. we went around the back of the boathouse to get a closer look at him, every so often he came up spout ting the water, and was only about 20 yards from us, it was some sight. a few of the foyle fishery officer's were standing beside us talking about it, saying that hes in after the salmon, on hearing this my grandad looked at them and said, so witch one of yous is going out to check him for his license :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Killer Whale

Fri May 16, 2008 10:23 am

About 4 or 5 years ago there were three of them in Cork Harbour for a month. They used to travel up the river on a daily basis and several times got as far as Cork city. It was around this time of year aswell as the Irish Open was on at the time at Fota. Darren Clarke was interviewed after one of golf sessions and told a bewildered interviewer that he used to get up every morning in the place he was staying, have breakfast on the balcony, and watch the killer whales frolicking right in front of him.

Fri May 16, 2008 10:30 am

thats the last think me and the yak need :shock: :lol:

Fri May 16, 2008 10:42 am

Killer Whales are quite common at this time of the year off the north coast of Donegal/Derry, the seem to migrate past and sometimes chase shoals of salmon and other fish close to shore. When the drift nets were still operating at sea the fishery officers from the Loughs Agency would sometimes have to shepard the whales away from the netting areas to prevent any entanglements.

Fri May 16, 2008 11:30 am

One washed up in the gweebarra a good few years back.
Remember a class mate in national school showing me a picture of him and a little baby one.

Fri May 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Cracking shots of Basking sharks breaching on the site too! Remember all the Great White Shark stories in Kerry from last year. This looks like the answer.

Super pics!!

http://www.iwdg.ie/article.asp?id=2021

Fri May 16, 2008 1:27 pm

I wouldn't write off great whites being in our waters.

There are stories of Tarpon breeding in our waters.You never know what's down there, with the Gulf stream passing so close to our coast.

:idea: What kind of flies do you need for Great whites? :D

Fri May 16, 2008 1:32 pm

I know, i live in hope of some proof that they are, i think it would be amazing. Presuming they would be left alone of course!

Now as for the flies, I'd start with a big turkey one :D

Killer Whale

Sun May 18, 2008 3:06 pm

eric wrote:thats the last think me and the yak need :shock: :lol:
.......Hi eric found this pic: on the site and thought of you :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun May 18, 2008 4:11 pm

b*****D :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun May 18, 2008 8:12 pm

eric wrote:b*****D :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

its behind you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun May 18, 2008 11:15 pm

is that bray head in the back round???

Sat May 31, 2008 11:12 pm

brianbru wrote:is that bray head in the back round???

looks like it and all