screeming reels, cork 21/4/08

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

screeming reels, cork 21/4/08

Postby screeming reels » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:45 pm

:b]Boat[/b]:screeming reels

Crew:seirt, merlin, angus, myself

Date:21/4/08

Duration:9 hours

Tide:ebb to full flood

Weather:super, light n/e going to mirror calm in afternoon

Bait:crab, rag, mack,

Rigs:Gilling, spreader, feathers, shrimp rig

Results:12 species, Pollock, lots to 9lbs, coalfish to 4lbs, ballen and cuckoo wrasse, red and grey gurnards, whiting, ling to 5lbs, LSD, pouting, conger to 25lbs, golden grey mullet 2 specimens

Report:Set off out to the lings, and on arrival were straight into some good pollock with doubles to 9lbs coming onto the boat, with a good few coalies also.
With the fish hold getting full, we headed off to have a go at some ling and managed half a dozen small ones to 5lbs.
with the run of tide easing we headed to the clean ground, which certainly lived up to its name!!
Only a few red and grey gurnards and a solatary whitng! not good , so decided to head in at which point the engine decided to go into limit mode of 2500rpm.
looking at the main fuel filter showed a large Glob of water with pink bits in it! suspecting that this may have made its way to the engine we switched the remaining engine onto two seperate fuel supplies to get me home, but with only the one engine running this was only 7 kts! Goodness it felt slow!!! but we had a good look at the scenery on the way back!
we stopped on the harbour rock on the way in and had some good conger action along with a good splash of small pollock and coalfish and ballens.
At that stage the harbour was a picture being a mirror calm, i then decided to have a go at the golden greys.
Within a couple of mins we had fish onboard, and we managed a couple of specimens, and poss and record that was dropped at the side of the boat because of no net !!!ughhhhhh( note to myself, get a new net.) Angus will never forgive me!
Was a great day out, glad i had the twin set up, now to face the job of flushing the tank and engines!!
regards
screeming
Attachments
golden grey mullet.jpg
golden grey mullet.jpg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 451 times
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 82 times

Postby MAC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:17 am

That's It, I'm moving south..... Excellent fishing there, especially the golden greys. Were all fish caught off the same spot or did you drift into shallower water?

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

goldens

Postby screeming reels » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:34 am

Hi,
any of the sheltered inner bays of the harbour will hold the mullet, usually shallow ish ie 3-8 feet,
calm conditions seems to be the key to success.
regards
screeming
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby petekd » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Nice report Screeming, you're doing your own groundwork there so..... :wink: Looking forward to a calm Weeekend and Lee getting his boat back in the water so we can buddy boat our own way out to the lings in the Longliner Flotilla..... :lol: Havent fished Conger on the rock yet despite spending a considerable amount of time there, must give that a go next time out.

Sorry to hear about the engine probs, hope ye dont have too much bother getting it sorted, 7 knots made me smile a bit though.... We'd have flown past you at 9 in the wee Orkney.... :D
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby MAC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Hopefully a clean of the fuel filters will have you sorted in no time.

Did you get the mullet on worm baits? Real pity about the fish that was lost...... You don't hear of too many big golden greys.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby shamoo0804 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:14 pm

Well done lads

Great fishing :D
Great weather :D
2nd engine :wink:

And 7 knots all the way back - you even had time to enjoy the scenery 8)

What more could you wish for..............
shamoo0804
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby thescotsman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:19 pm

Nice one Screeming - sounds like a great day. I've been on to Pete that we should be out on the Ling, so with my engine being sorted for next week, we should be able to get out there soon....(I feel a day off coming up next week)...
2019 Species (8): Whiting, Coalfish, Dogfish, Bass, Coalfish, Dab, Lesser Spined Sea Scorpion, 5 Bearded Rockling
thescotsman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 10 times

cork

Postby screeming reels » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi,
Yes 7kts, had a potter pass us out !!!! but , back safe and sound.
Dont think its fuel problem, checked the filter on engine and it was spotless, time for the computer diagnostic, with all these sensors on engines now i'am hoping its something simple.
1st may looking a nice day on long range ( At the moment!!!)
regards
screeming
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

SR

Postby JimC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Well done on the mullet Martyn. Just checked Paddy Powers, I see Screeming Reels is odds on for the Small Boats!!! Yourself combined with the Domeney fella surely are unbeatable (no pressure of course :) )
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

cork

Postby screeming reels » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi Jim,
Well i will make sure that i know the tides so as to not get stuck at the guilthead mark Te He!! not that it handicapped you last year!!
Donal's doing a fine job finding good corkwing marks!
regards
screeming
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

huh?

Postby JimC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:29 pm

:?:
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby slowarm » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:41 am

Great fishing lads. Hoping to get down there during the summer... if we get a summer. :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

The worst time to have a heart attack is while playing charades! Specially if your friends are no good at it.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." Carl Sagan.
slowarm
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Yaks Attack!