Duke, Cork Harbour, 20/04/08

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:34 am

People:Myself and Donal Domeney

Duration:3.30-8.30

Tide:Fished up and over HW

Weather:Grey but calm with only light NE breezes

Bait:Crab, Rag, Mack

Rigs:Various

Results:Cod about 14, Pollack at least 30, coalies about the same, Ballan wrasse a dozen or so, Corkwing wrasse 1, Poor cod 1, LSD 1.

Report:

Following the cancellation of all boat comps this weekend and the need to get afloat, launched out of Ringaskiddy once again for another impromptu session with the Donal fella. We headed back to fish the same mark of the past couple of weeks. Fish, to begin with were very slow but a move to the other side of it saw large amounts of fish taken in patches of frenetic activity mingled with nothing. Had good success targetting wrasse with small pieces of ragworm and managed a stray corkwing while Donal hogged most of the cod fishing with a late brace for myself to spare my blushes. Biggest cod was about 3 1/2, biggest wrasse about 2 1/2. Pollack were small and ranged from 20 cm pests to biggest about a pound and a half. Coalies came through in flurries but no great size to them, biggest about a pound.

Still, smallish the fish may have been but we put the East wind theory to the sword and had a pleasant afternoon with plenty of action to pass the time midst the slagging...... :D Nice day to be out and a grand stretch in the evening too. Cheers to Donal again for answering the call and providing the vast majority of the bait. Proper boat buddy, had the fish gutted and the boat washed down by the time we arrived back at the slip!

Still mystified at the lack of small boat activity within the harbour, 1 other small boat pottering around there early on and that was it.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:37 am

Nice one Pete! :D

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 am

Well Done Pete, very nice session there.

Kev

Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Nice one guys, only sorry I couldn't be there :cry:

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi pete,i would say the other small boat was me,launched from the tennis club at 7.30am, very sharp east wind,wind again tide and rain,drifting at 2.5 to 3.9 knots,found it very hard even to hold anchor,after 3 hours we headed back in,made two attempts to go to the lings but on the way out it was extreamly lumpy,glad you had a better day than we had,there will be days like that,dezzer..........

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:06 am

Any day on the water is a good day. :D :D

We must have at least a 100 fish between us for the day. :) :)

It was a case of the sprinter (Pete) versus the marathon man. 8)
Pete started off gilling, Some people are born that way, me I went for the freezer food! cod.

As Pete flogged in fish after fish on board I took the slagging and stayed with the plan grabbing the the odd few coalies, the poxie dogfish and the poorer than poor, Poor Cod and for the odd time when I went on the gill just to prove that catching pollack was not a great achivement I added a few to the catch.

As the tide turned the fish count changed just as fast.
The tide were on the move (and all to my side of the boat) as the song goes " What a Difference a Days Makes". The marathon man took over and the rest is hush hush

Cracking day out again
If it was any other sport you would making sure you lost just to be taken out again but this is Pete and the the draw :lol: at the end of the was a fair result :lol: :lol:

Note to one self : Bring score cards the next time :lol: :lol:

PS. It's bad enough having to clean out your tackle box the next day without having the extra burdon of a boat to do as well.

Sessions like these are what make angling enjoyable.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:45 am

Beware lads, Pete and Donal have begun their training sessions for this years masters early..... :lol: Aye, start bringing scorecards and watch the sparks fly.....

The fishing was indeed strange and as Donal says, it favoured each of us at different times. Not just a little bit either, there were half hour patches where one fella was skulling fish and the other getting bugger all. Good fun though and good practise for the match stuff, looking forward to the next one...... :wink:

Couple of pics below.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cork trip,

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi,
I see, insider info as to where we will be heading for the 1st comp,!!
good job we had a bit of practice in the same area yesterday! some nice conger boated and plenty of the coalfish and pollock.
regards
screeming

Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:50 pm

why so unhappy, pete, thats nice wrasse :wink: :lol:

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:22 pm

eric wrote:why so unhappy, pete, thats nice wrasse :wink: :lol:

Remember he's had a while in a boat with Donal winding him up I'd guess-That's the Domeney effect for you I suspect :lol:

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:43 pm

nice fishing pete and donal roll the MA's

regards

brian