inflatable boat

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:14 am

looking for some advice, i am thinking about getting a small boat for just off shore fishing ( not far out ) came across this one on e bay. AL285 inflatable dinghy with aluminium floor, can be used with a 15HP outboard motor, dose anyone know anything about these type of boats. firsty are they safe, strong enough ( only two people will be on it ) would love some advice on this....... sorry don't know how to put up a link,...... e bay item num: 380016689758 ....the RRP is £899 but they are doing a spring promotion and are putting them out at £499. if anyone has the time could they take a look at it and let me know what they think...cheers!!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:21 am

lidl had a fine inflatable last week it was 500 euro

inflatable boat

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 am

seen them brainbru, but i am looking for something more sturdy, hence; the aluminium floor on the AL285. the most inportant information i am looking for is are they safe enough.... and it will only be used in fair weather....

boat

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:14 am

It is a cheap inflatable. Your link is to a 330. A good sized little craft. I have a 3.3 rib with a 15hp outboard and it flys along! It is a safe craft in suitable conditions. While the hull of the rib gives extra strength I’m sure the alu floor would be of benefit. I have never heard of that particular make of inflatable but it looks fine in the pictures.

Have a look on:http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk , always good for a comparison, there are some well priced dinghies there as well.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:21 am

put it this way if you can go out on a yak you can fish on a small inflatable.
get all the safety paraphernalia vhf oars flares etc.

and mind the hooks off the sides

brian

inflatable boat

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:50 am

jim i was looking at two models, AL285 and the AL330, got a bit mixed up on them, AL330 can take a 15HP, and the AL285 can take a 10HP motor. and thanks for them comparsion's, some nice ones in there, but seem to be drawn to the AL's.......brianbru i will make sure to have all safety equipment that is needed, thanks for the info; lads much appreciated.

Sun May 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Afternoon.

I use a small 3m RIB for all of my boat fishing atm, as finances dont allow me to get a "proper" boat atm. Mine has a 5hp engine, and can shift in calm conditions. I usually fish out of Greystones, and never travel more than about 2 miles from the harbour, and no more than a mile out to sea.

I have had some nice fishing from my boat, catching nice codling, pollack, coalies etc., and even had my first ever tope last summer. However, I would recommend that you take care when fishing, as it would only take one hook on a string of feathers, to cause a puncture.

As long as you take care when fishing, you will have a very enjoyable time. It feels great when you are the captain of your own boat, and you can travel wherever and whenever you please.

Good luck mate, and hope to see you afloat one day :)

Matt

Re: inflatable boat

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:23 pm

I fish 3.1 m inflatables (a zodiac airflloor and a bombard 3.1m rib). 2 people is just ok at this size but I think 2.8 may be a bit uncomfortable with 2. These craft do 18 to 20 mph with a 8hp 2 stoke Yamaha and 1 person on board and around 15mph with 2 (we both weigh 13 stone plus) - though they can be a slow to come onto a plane. Consider how big an engine you need as 10hp and over generally are much heavier than 2 stoke 6 to 9.8hp engines and if you have to lug them any distance from the car if launching in more remote coasts at low water even 8 hp gives a big angler a decent workout. There was a similar thread about 4m inflatables recently that had more details on engines etc on it.

Regarding safety: remember if you get into trouble inshore, what craft is likely to be the one the RNLI will save you in? I have stuch hooks in my inflatables twice in 10 years and the second time I left the hook in and fished on for 2 more hours with out problems. They claim inflatables/ribs float even with all the tubes punctured.