1st session 2008

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

1st session 2008

Postby eric » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:51 pm

rigs: animal rigs and running ledgers

baits: alby's rag and brock's mackerel

species:whiting, doggies

report: a beautiful day for it, decided as a spur of the moment thing to launch the yak for the first time this year. drained the yak of water, gave it a quick scrub down, checked the batteries and got the safety equipment box out. checked the tides and forecasts and off i set, got to the beach and was greeted by a mirror of sea for miles out, headed out to my smoothie mark which throws up the odd butterfly too and straight away got into a few wow wows,then paddled off to a deepish patch of broken ground, anchored up and hopes where high of an early huss, but the dogs just wouldn't leave me alone. then a seal popped up out of the blue about 20 yards from me. a quick stare off ensued, followed by frantic paddling to land on my part, after a few minutes of the trying to get to land asap, i noticed i had not moved and neither had the seal, it was at this point i realised i had not pulled up the anchor :oops: :oops: :lol: the seal ever present, still had eager eyes for the bait and for my watery grave as far as i was concerned, so i pulled up the anchor for real this time, and proceeded to reach land with an air of urgency, a few hasty minutes later i arrived at my second mark, a patch of ground kindly given to me by lampoon for some red spots about a 150 yards out or so, after a few drifts, (around 10) not a nibble was to be seen, i anchored up once again and got into some pins, not even the cormorants wanted them when i threw them at them, they simply looked on by and allowed them to sink. by now the bait was gone i decided to go home, unfortunately the hss had gone by and a small swell had developed making a clean landing impossible, so stowed every thing away in the hull and got ready to get soaked, :shock: as suspected i got hit by a wave which wasnt too bad and made a safe landing, i looked back into the sea with a face expressing nothing more than, 'i won mr sea', only to sea my smock floating away :lol: :lol: i quickly tied on a trace and 6oz lead and casted my boat rod into it, manged to hook it by the hood and all was saved. it was good fun though hope to get out again soon :D
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby eyesreilly » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:52 pm

Great report eric, I was out there with you (and the seal :wink: ).
Species '20 (14) 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Codling, Whiting, Pollock, Coalfish, Pouting, Corkwing Wrasse ,Ballan Wrasse, Poor Cod, Dab ,Smoothhound,Flounder, Thornback Ray

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING! --
eyesreilly
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 463 times
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby derek yeates » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:20 pm

would love to try that eric. been out in lots of canoes even played kayak polo on the liffey once

did it cost much to get set up
2009 would like to hit 20 this year

there's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
derek yeates
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: 1st session 2008

Postby fishermannum1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:24 pm

eric wrote: followed by frantic paddling to land on my part, after a few minutes of the trying to get to land asap, i noticed i had not moved and neither had the seal, it was at this point i realised i had not pulled up the anchor :oops: :oops: :lol: :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: now thats a classic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
as ole rab c said " see me' see the sea' i love the sea me"
right i'am off for a swally!!!!!!! so were's the F***'n purse!!!!!!!
fishermannum1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby gneoh » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:47 pm

:D would love to get myself one b4 the summer months. b4 that have to get myself a few lessons kayaking b4 heading out... :shock: :)
gneoh
SAI Lug Worm

Postby eric » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:31 pm

derek yeates wrote:
did it cost much to get set up

complete set up, electronics,trolley,safety equipment,2nd hand kayak,rod holder,paddle holder around 600-700 euro
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Postby brianbru » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:53 pm

good to get out eric nice one. 1st of many mate!!

ps. hope lampoon wasnt tellin you my plaice marks :lol: :lol:
"i always find the fish"
brianbru
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Seancelt » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:53 pm

Great report. I look forward to reading more.

Derek
All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!
Seancelt
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Adam S » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:14 pm

good report eric

i have a two man touring kayak which i might rig up for fishing

with regard to rod rests i have two down east style trolling rests which i might add with the flush mounts, would you put them forward of the front seat, which is where i sit when in it on my own? have all the rest of the gear sorted
Adam S

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby eric » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:58 pm

yep id put them in the front, just make sure that when your rod is resting in them that they dont impede the paddle action, if you intend to troll lures then put them at the back, as youl be continuously hitting the line with the paddle
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Adam S » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:38 pm

cheers eric
Adam S

Have thanks: 4 times

Return to Yaks Attack!