Buying a kayak advice etc

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Buying a kayak advice etc

Postby Tipp Angler » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi,

After coming across this section of the forum recently i wasn't even aware of fishing from a kayak not something have thought of before but could see the advantages. I am just looking for a few pointers as would be mainly kayaking alone unless there are some people in the waterford area who go out.

Firstly i dont have a huge budget but have seem some non "fishing" kayaks that seem nice and reasonable priced e.g 500 euro, the Nomad for example. My budget is mainly reflecting the fact that would only be able to go around once a month or so and the fact that I would probably not be able to stretch to a 1000 euro without being killed by the other half.

I have previous kayak experience to white water level and would only be looking to fish around harbours and estuarys, can someone offer some advice so I could be set for the summer maybe???

thanks
Tipp Angler
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Greywulff » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:24 am

Like urself Tipp I was kayaking long before i realised kayak angling had taken off in such a big way, sure all ya have to do is google Kayak Angling or images to see how many sites are out there both in US and England.

At the end of it all its what you make it. I've spent nearly €2000 setting up my yak but i use it alot. Ive fish finders and gps the works , but guarentee you'd catch just as much fish as me in the day.

So for the summer look for a reasonably prices yak and paddle, inshore safety pack of flares and the like, life vest and ur set add bits and pieces if and when u need them.

I've heard alot of people say sure I'm only gonna be using the yak around harbours and estuarys but these can have some good currents running in and out of them and at a few knots over distance a marathon would seem easyer so bear it in mind when choosing location knowing what the tide and weather are doing will give you a better idea.

All the best
Greywulff

Ideas on a kayak

Postby Tipp Angler » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the help there and some good pointers there is a lot to take into account when at sea im sure and as would be on me own every bit helps. Do you fish alone?? was wondering if you have nay advice on that?

Would you recommend spending the extra and getting a kayak which is setup for fishing or modifying yourself?

There are a few that are cheaper and I would only be using the one rod so not sure i'd need all the rests etc that some of the dearer kayaks offer.

Which YAk do you have, I have been looking at a few now such as a caper and also Frenzy and Nomad.

Also just wondering what species you have caught so far??
Tipp Angler
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Greywulff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:16 pm

I've a Prowler due to the weight capacity for the gear :lol: :lol: but any yak will do It don't ave to be an angler version as they normaly only have a seat and flush rod rests anyway.

I enjoy kitting them out myself but its up to you and how deep ur pockets are. A Scotty or Ram rod holder would sort you out just fine.

Most freshwater fish bar tench which I'm gonna sot out soon :lol: and the usual speices from the sea. How ever i need to get me a Thorny and Tope and Bass from the yak, We tried for the Tope last year and a M8 managed a mid 20 but it was all down to location which I hope we have sorted for this year.
Last edited by Greywulff on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greywulff

Postby Greywulff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:19 pm

Oh and I'd pick the Caper, personally its a brillant yak not as long as the prowler but a good yak.
Greywulff

Return to Yaks Attack!