got myself a kayak

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

got myself a kayak

Postby donal » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:24 pm

and now it acors to me that have no idea how to use it let a lone kit it out so what else do i nead beside a padle i have a finder and garmn gps so how do make them wateproof 100% as they are curntly only splash proof
I fish…therefore I am
donal
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby eric » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:56 pm

ok, welcome to the kayaking world.

first of all once you have installed your fishfinder you need to hook it up to a 12v battery, i like to leave the battery wrapped in cling film so it stays dry, i believe you can purchase a purpose built piece of tuber wear for the job, haven't found it yet.

i too, have a garmin gps, mine is handheld and said waterproof on the packet so i just make sure it doesn't fall in :!: ive never had any problems with either piece of equipment in about 20 sessions, although i once let on of monitor cords get wet and unfortunately the copper conductor eroded in minutes :shock: so take with that.

as far as other equipment goes i strongly recommend a paddle leash and waterproof cover for a mobile phone, can see the point in investing in a vhf as i cant see you heading miles out to sea, most kayak work, for me anyway, is done in the mobile coverage limit. a good cover will cost around 50 yoyos so it aint cheap but it will be a lifesaver in the event of an emergency.

also you must get a pfd.finally ive added all sorts of bits to the yak including a bike bottle holder to refresh you on those long paddles, a rod stand and a small fly box for the littles bits and pieces youl need while fishing.
if you need anymore info feel free to drop me a pm.
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby fishinmidget » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:41 pm

donal, for gods sake get a vhf of some sort..........i cant tell you about anything else as i dont have a kayak.

what sort of kayak is it? sit on top? can you swim well?
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby donal » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:08 pm

ya i have all i nead bar the padel have a splash proof vhf to but dont have a licence for it and a life jaket would nead some sort of dry bag too for my gear
I fish…therefore I am
donal
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Last Cast » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:33 pm

I found this site very helpful when I was looking into buying one myself http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/index.html
Last Cast
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby eric » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:23 am

why get a vhf, the limit is six miles on the mobile ?
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Postby donal » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:08 pm

i alredy had one i did not just get it for the kayak
I fish…therefore I am
donal
SAI Hammerhead

Postby eric » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:14 pm

fine, but if i really need i would like to know whats your opinion? should i invest in one?
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Postby donal » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:01 pm

i would not botther unless your going miles out to sea or fishing on the west cost were mobile reception i hit and miss im only going to usse it as a back up to my mobile not the other way around
I fish…therefore I am
donal
SAI Hammerhead

vhf on kayak

Postby screeming reels » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:14 am

Hi lads,
Regarding the vhf debate on this thread, as a person who is well experianced in maritime rescue i hope you take this advice as it will help you be recovered or assisted much quicker.
firstly, there is nothing wrong with using a mobile, but, only the recipient of the call would be able to help initially, and often from all mobile call alerts that we recieve there is often much confusion as to what is going on, ie no accurate position of your emergency.
mobile phones hate water of any kind and will fail with the slightest water ingress, they are not designed for the job of marine comms.
With the VHF, any other vessel in your area will immediately respond to any distress call on channel 16, if the coastguard dosn't respond first. they are trained to ask the right questions as to discover your position, they will know the local landmarks, thus allowing the rescue services to get to with the minimum of lost time.
I appreciate that when on such a small boat, space is a problem, but as you know marine handheld vhf's are getting smaller each year, and most are now waterproof to a depth of a couple of meters, just what you need if you have capsized, it will still work, your mobile will not.
If you are in cove or an isolated area we can home onto your signal from the helicopter, we cannot home the mobile phone.
So in summary, if you want a 90% better chance of getting rescued, get a VHF, yes you need a licence, but it is not difficult to obtain, and the subsequent cost of the licence is small.
Hope this explains a little about the pro's and cons of the mobile phone debate, its your neck !!! you have the choice.
Oh, and when going out in the kayak, or any craft, PLEASE let someone know where, when, how many onboard, and your return time, nobody ever plans to get into trouble!! it will save your life
regards
screeming reels
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 82 times

Postby eric » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:30 am

thank for that
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Greywulff » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:13 pm

Sound advice there screamin :D
Greywulff

Return to Yaks Attack!