Participation levels

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Participation levels

Postby k » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi, the idea of kayak fishing sounds really good.

I take it people are generally using sit ontop kayaks, Im wondering if many people actually do this and if many people take seakayaking courses before trying this?
k
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby MAC » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi K,

This seem to be a little similar to SWFF a few years ago. It seem to be a growing area of our sport. Once a few people start getting together to have a fish this is likely to take off. Given the array of fishing we have on our inshore waters here in Ireland the ability to get a few hundres yards out could really open up new and bigger species for most.

Hoipefully this are of the web site will grow and grow and we can have a few get togethers as well.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby k » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:19 pm

Indeed, Im away this summer, but I am big into kayaking... kinda distracted me from the fishing in the last year, I must give it a try.
k
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Greywulff » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:49 am

Just Google it M8 there are thousands Kayak Angling worldwide whether freshwater or sea it don't matter but most are using sit-on-top's cause of there ingenius design, storage and stability and ur catch rate will increase and as MAC said so will the size of fish you encounter. If you have kayaking knowledge then angling from it won't be a problem. But newbies in my opinion should get some instruction before taking to the coast, and a lot of practise in a sheltered shallow lough wouldn't be a bad idea either.

But in saying that a lot of fun can be had kayaking in the salty stuff so long as the newbie doesnt stray to far from a safe landing spot then I see no real problems so long as you are aware of what the sea is doing, tides, weather etc.

I think kayak angling will take off big time in this country and as you are already aware of how distracting the coast line can be (lack of fishing) it's a whole new experience.

Hope you try it out K it's well worth it,

All the best,
Greywulff

Return to Yaks Attack!