Capsizing?

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Was thinking of getting one of those two-person Hobie Kayaks so I could use it by myself or bring out a buddy - just in calm weather to get to awkward areas, or just a bit beyond my crappy casting range. I'm told they are very stable, but I'd like to know what the procedure is with them if you do capsize? Can you right them easy enough? More importantly, is it easy enough to re-board them? Any info would be much appreciated,
Thanks

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:38 pm

are these the ones where you sit on top on in the kayak?

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:46 pm

Don't know much abt Yaks but as far as i know they are easy to right after overturning once you know how.

Before getting one i would recommend doing a few lessons with a outdoor pursuits center other wise you are just asking for trouble

Danny

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:02 pm

Hi Donogh,

As with most SOT kayaks I'd say they are fairly easy to right but as the Hobie have propulsion blades underneath you should be aware of there position and stay to the side of them in case the yak rolls to far when ur up-righting them. You wouldn't want them in the chest :cry:

As for re-entering them its simple but takes a bit of practice. Once the yak is up the right way reach across the yak grabbing the carrying handle or life line, with our other hand holding this side of the yak you kick the water while pulling ur self across the yak once ur hips are over the middle of the yak you then roll putting ur butt in position. Now ur more or less side saddle on the yak sit up and swing one leg in then the other and ur done. I would advise any newbie to SOT's to learn this on shallow sheltered water before the need arises for real. And so long as all the hatches are closed there is no need to bale it out as all SOT's are self baling which make them ideal for what we are using them for.

All the best,

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:45 am

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 1461091551

Some photos of how to do it.

Thanks

Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Thanks for all that, lads, now I just have get the thing... and figure where I'm going to keep it, etc etc. And yeah, the Hobie is one of the Sit-On-Top kayaks, it featured in one of the boat shows recently, I was pretty impressed, and the pedal propulsion system seemed ingenious.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:07 pm

Donogh,

have a look at www.anglersafloat.co.uk , very useful web sitewith loads of interesting topics about SOT kayaks and fishing off them.

Cheers,

Macker.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:06 am

If your new to kayaking it might be worth checking out your local kayaking club for a few sessions, for the safety aspect if for nothing else. Theres a list somewhere on [url]www.canoe.ie[/url] Some of the clubs mightnt cater for Sit on tops but a lot do.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:33 pm

silly question but what happens all your gear if you fall out

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:15 pm

guess everyone fell overboard :P :P

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:31 pm

If it aint tied down :cry: :cry: :cry: IT GONE M8