Portabotes

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Portabotes

Postby obkdob » Tue May 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Was wondering has anyone experience of these folding boats. i know they are rather expensive. Is there a sales outlet in Ireland. Would be thinking of using one for inshore sea angling and piking
obkdob

Postby jack01986 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:16 pm

Do a search for them here. MAC has one im sure he will tell you about them when he sees this.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby MAC » Wed May 16, 2007 12:59 pm

There the dogs to be honest..... :roll: Ideal for Piking and inshore fishing. Just be careful of conditions when inshore fishing and always carry the necessary safety gear.

Personally if you are looking to do both types of fishing, then you should be looking at the 12 foot model. Folding and unfolding is handy enough once you get a couple of trips in. They fly along with a 5hp engine and can get up on a plane with one person (20mph) With two guys and gear they will do about 10mph. As they are flexable the floor does move about a little when you are under speed. This feels very wierd at first, but you get used to it quickly enough.

There is one second hand going in Dublin at the moment at about €2000 with electric engine. It would have to be fairly new to be worth it. There is a company in Roslare that sell them, but I can't remember the name. The US website will put you in tough with them. If you are a bit creative, it might be possible to get one second hand in the states and have it shipped over for about €1000 - €1200 or so.

I think they retail for about €2700 so they are not cheap. They are really handy though and with put you in areas that are not possible to fish from the shore or bank.

If you need any more info, Post away.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Portabotes

Postby obkdob » Thu May 17, 2007 8:00 am

Contacted Portabotes in U.S.A.. They sent me back details of a stockist in Lowestoft but none here in Ireland. The transportation to ireland would add approx 100 - 200 pounds to the cost. Its getting a bit expensive!
Paul
obkdob

Postby MAC » Thu May 17, 2007 9:34 am

Hey Paul,

I have heard that from time to time the UK supplier does have some second hand boats...... might be worth a phone call. There is/was an Irish supplier in Rosslare.... Try looking up the yellow pages and phoning any boat supplier in the area. They are not cheap, thats for sure. Check the Buy and sell online, there was one going for €2k with some extras and an electric engine. The guy had an add in Henrys Tackle (01 8555216) Give him a bell and I'm sure he'll give you the phone number off the add.

Good Luck,

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Greywulff » Fri May 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi Mac,

Give us a look at ur............. boat, :lol: what fish have you caught from her. Just interested.

Greywulff
Greywulff

Return to Yaks Attack!