Kayak Fishing Ireland

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Kayak Fishing Ireland

Postby Greywulff » Thu May 10, 2007 11:23 pm

Just like to say Cheers to the Lads for putting in this sub-forum.

Hope all interseted parties us it.

And this is what its all about,
[IMG:2592:1944]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/3219/kittedoutprowlerjg8.jpg[/img]
Small craft like this can open a whole new world of fishing for you. They let you fish that spot you've always wanted to but could never get to and with the freedom of coming and going when ever you please. You can kit them up to the last like here I have a GPS unit mounted and a Fish-finder,
[IMG:2592:1944]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8357/ledgeringrodsbo9.jpg[/img]

Or no more than the Yak, Paddle and some safety equipment you could be off. There is interest In Ireland and it is growing in this sport and when it comes to fishing well you adapt any form of sea fishing you know of to suit. I have Trolled, Ledgered and spun from my yak not to mention jigging Hokkai rigs.

Last year I caught two PB's in last August/ September a pollack of 5lb 2oz and a wrasse of 4lb 5oz not the biggest fish in the world but I've been along time fishing the shore.

Anyway give us you're thoughts or ideas!

Again a big THANKS to the forum gate keepers,

All the best,

Greywulff
Greywulff

Postby MAC » Fri May 11, 2007 11:40 am

Lovely looking Yak.... I think this area of the sport could really take off in a big way. We have many sections of the coast that are very tough to get to on foot. In some nice weather and a Yak, you could be fishing in areas that have never seen a lure or bait.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Greywulff » Fri May 11, 2007 11:57 am

Hi Mac,

Thanks

I think it will take off in this country for the exact same reasons and our coastline is so impressive from a yak/small boat, even if the safety critic's say otherwize, sure aren't you the owner of a portaboat Mac, and by the way lovely Bass jealous as hell,

Greywulff
Greywulff

Postby fishinmidget » Fri May 11, 2007 9:15 pm

do you think i would be able to use them inshore, in a bay, on a calm day?

Im thinking of getting to some mullet spots that i dont quite fancy the walk through a bog to get through.
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby stevecrow74 » Sat May 12, 2007 12:21 am

fishinmidget wrote:do you think i would be able to use them inshore, in a bay, on a calm day?

Im thinking of getting to some mullet spots that i dont quite fancy the walk through a bog to get through.

just make sure you get kayak/canoe lessons... i know its not a necessity but will prove very helpful if you get into difficulty..

i always hated going under in a canoe, but was always quick enough to right myself 8)
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Greywulff » Sat May 12, 2007 8:24 am

fishinmidget wrote:do you think i would be able to use them inshore, in a bay, on a calm day?

Meant for it mate and you could probably get up so close to the mullet you'd only be fishing off the bow, they are that silent, well so long as you don't let rip of course :lol: There an inshore Yak you can use them in a foot deep water or a mile out to sea or a freshwater inland Lough(I Don't recommend the mile out to sea bit) you take it where you want to go as long as you use ur head and are always safety conscious. Keep in mind tides currents and weather and ur sorted.

Lessons never hurt anyone but if you tip a sit on top (SOT) ur in the water no two ways about it hence the wet suit/dry suit. Paddle techniques and the like are very useful.

Have a look how to get back in. It was the first thing I tried and with practice its easy, I would learn this in the shallows where you can touch bottom until ur happy to try it in deeper water, but do learn it with ur PFD on remember there padded to almost an inch off ur chest and you have to get that over the deck aswell.

[url]http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_view.asp?Kayak_Articles=55[/url]

Greywulff
Greywulff

Postby fishinmidget » Sat May 12, 2007 11:23 am

Ive had lessons and i can right myself(i hate it though) thats why the open kayac has me interested and they look very stable. also there are a few reefs that are just begging to be fly fished only about 400 yards offshore. the only reason i wanted to know your opions is i am a small person and i dont know how easy it would be for me to get out of trouble if i happend to get into some. is there only one size of yak or can you get small/large ones?

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Postby Greywulff » Sat May 12, 2007 5:54 pm

fishinmidget wrote: the only reason i wanted to know your opinions is i am a small person and i don't know how easy it would be for me to get out of trouble if i happened to get into some. is there only one size of yak or can you get small/large ones?

They are very stable but don't be under any illusion you will get thrown out of them on the odd occasion especially when landing on the beach if you time it wrong and there's a wave. I know :lol: "Been there done that" :lol:

This is the smallest angler yak I think you can buy [url]http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/angler_editions/caper_angler.html[/url] but it doesn't matter really how big the yak is its what ur comfortable with and for the two foot in the difference I'd stick with the Prowler it would track better, in saying that the Caper is a very good yak
and you cannot argue with these photos some of which are Caper's. [url] http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/KayakPictures3.html [url]

Yaks are very easy paddled and when a 5lb pollack can turn them around it will show you how light they are on water.

:lol: :lol: Size don't matter :lol: :lol:

Not when it comes to Yaks

Greywulff
Last edited by Greywulff on Sun May 13, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greywulff

Postby fishinmidget » Sat May 12, 2007 6:33 pm

one more question. is it easy to anchoron these things?

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Postby Greywulff » Sat May 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Ask away the more the merrier so to speak.
I have a 1.5Kg anchor major over kill cannot find the 1.5Lb ones all the Yakker use and shipping cost would be to much. So yeah a 1.5Lb anchor can nail them to the deck which is ideal for ledgering or float-fishing or SWFFing in an estuary.

This is a good system for anchoring a yak.

[url]http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/Prowler_AnchorTrolley.htm[/url]

Greywulff
Greywulff

Postby MAC » Sun May 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Great advice Greywolf....

Hopefully as a result of this section, more and more people will consider getting a Yak. I think the Irish coastline is really well suited to a Yak. You could work miles of coastline only a few hundred meters from the Shore.... That way if the weather or conditions get a little tough you can just paddle to the nearest landing spot.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Mr_Green » Sun May 13, 2007 2:53 pm

would a dumb bell weight not be the same difference?
Mr_Green

Postby donal » Sun May 13, 2007 3:21 pm

there are adult clases in galway im going to go for them this summer pm me ifintrested
I fish…therefore I am
donal
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby Greywulff » Sun May 13, 2007 5:53 pm

Mr_Green wrote:would a dumb bell weight not be the same difference?

May do never though of it, but it may not hold you over sand with round edges and no prones to grip.

Greywulff
Greywulff

Return to Yaks Attack!