Begginer wantng to cast 70m!

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Begginer wantng to cast 70m!

Postby sammypants 13 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 pm

hi guys,
At a mark close to me there is a deep channel about 70m out. I want to be able to reach the channel! I have two rods- a 12 foot 3-5oz & a 12 foot 5-8oz rod. I am 14 and the heavier rod is a bit too heavy for me to cast a 6oz lead effectively so my dad usualy uses that rod. He can cast up to about 50-60 yards and I can't even cast that far! :( As you can see we are awfull casters! So I was wondering what would be the best technique to cast this distance- eg. just an overhead cast or off the ground or pendulum? I will be using a 4oz lead & a fixed spool reel loaded with 12lb mono and 50lb mono as a shock leader on a 12 foot 3-5oz rod. Aany help and tips would be great!
thanks,
Samuel
sammypants 13
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Begginer wantng to cast 70m!

Postby saving private brian » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:01 am

first off all,,,can you gain any yardage buy wadeing out into the water safely with a set of waders,,,
saving private brian
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 182 times

Postby bigsod » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:10 am

I don't think I'd be encouraging a 14 year old to wade into the water, a good overhead thump or otg with a bit of practice will easily get you out 70 meters plus. Loads of good vids on u tube, with John Holden, tommy farmer and roger mortimore are all worth a look
Fire in the belly, ice in the veins

For this message the author bigsod has received thanks:
JOHN1 (Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:07 pm)
bigsod
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 179 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Preston » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:32 am

As said practice your casting but also look at your rigs and if not allready try using clipped or pulley rigs with tidy baits .
2013 species : coalies,flounder(pb),whiting,dogfish,5 beard rockling
2012 species : cod,whiting,coalies;flounder,5 beard rockling,bass,dogfish,dab
Preston
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby JPA » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:51 am

I also found that protecting your finger (with a glove, tape, etc...) helps getting confident when casting hard.
2011 : pollack
2012 : whiting, dogfish, gurnard, flounder, smooth hound, poor cod, pollack, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse, goldshinny wrasse, blenny, bass, codling, rockling, dab, pouting, pollack, sea scorpion
2013 : codling(ie), rockling(ie), wrasse(fr), whiting(fr)
JPA
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 38 times

Postby MR RMG83 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:07 pm

If you have access to a big open field, you could always go and practice in that without any hooks on your trace. That way you can also play with different styles and see what best works for you. Just always make sure its safe ie no people or animals around you. :)

For this message the author MR RMG83 has received thanks:
Ric0shay (Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:18 pm)
MR RMG83
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby Ric0shay » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Its defiantly worth heading to a beach or field,it helped me loads when I was starting.Bring a few markers of some sort and youll be able to measure out what casting style works best for you.Double check there is no one around and if your going to a field checks for overhead lines.

Best of luck with it.
Ric0shay
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times

Postby sammypants 13 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks for all the help! We actually own a field so I will be have to start practising :mrgreen:
By the way I only would wade in the sea when fishing shallow sandy beaches and most of the wading I do is in rivers and lakes and I always wear a life jacket. The John Holden stuff looks great. Do any of you have a link to a video which shows how to do an overhead thump cast as I don't know how to do that cast properly.
sammypants 13
SAI Bait Ball

Postby seanbah » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 am

I was in your position about 4 years ago and i got thought how to cast properly, a bit of advice i can give you is go on youtube and look up how to do the off the ground cast and try using streamlined rigs a pulley rig would be a good choice and maybe in a few years when you get confident casting you could start to learn the pendulum cast. That is what worked for me, i use not be able to cast more than 70 yards now i am comfortably hitting 180 yards and i am only 18, so i promise you at your age if you learn the off the ground cast well enough and keep your rigs streamlined you could be able to hit 80-100 yards, hope this helped and good luck bud :)
seanbah
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 36 times

Postby blowin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:59 am

I got quite a few crack offs when trying different styles . If practicing over ground , use a bright coloured shock leader so you can find the weight which has disappeared over the horizon and buried itself deep in the mud !
Unfortunately I never mastered the art and 70 m is about my limit but maybe that isn't such a bad thing as I only recently came to understand that the fish are often much closer in anyway . I must have spent hours doing my best to cast over them !!!
blowin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 am

sammypants 13 wrote:hi guys,
At a mark close to me there is a deep channel about 70m out. I want to be able to reach the channel! I have two rods- a 12 foot 3-5oz & a 12 foot 5-8oz rod. I am 14 and the heavier rod is a bit too heavy for me to cast a 6oz lead effectively so my dad usualy uses that rod. He can cast up to about 50-60 yards and I can't even cast that far! :( As you can see we are awfull casters! So I was wondering what would be the best technique to cast this distance- eg. just an overhead cast or off the ground or pendulum? I will be using a 4oz lead & a fixed spool reel loaded with 12lb mono and 50lb mono as a shock leader on a 12 foot 3-5oz rod. Aany help and tips would be great!
thanks,
Samuel

Howya I'm from Loughill down that way if you want a few pointers some day I can go through things with ya at Kilteery, 70m should be achievable easily enough for a lad your age.
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby sammypants 13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Went for a practise in my field today, on my first off the ground cast the weight got caught in the top of the trees at the other end of the field so the cast must have been around 70-80 yards! Was alot easier than I thought, thanks for the help! I think I'll need to get a bigger field to practise in :mrgreen:
sammypants 13
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Casting