Reel Query

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Reel Query

Postby globulin77 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:16 pm

Hello all,

I haven't fished in a long long time.
I have an old Leeda Riptide beachcaster. It is carbon and the tip seems fairly stiff.
I always used to hoof out a 6 ounce weight and 3 flappers but my distance was poor with the reels I had.
The reels I have seem good but are really only medium sized spinning reels and not suitable for distance work.
I was wondering if I got something like a Mitchell LC 8000 or Grauvell Zeus reel, would it make much difference to the distance I can cast with the old Leeda Riptide beachcaster.
Basically I don't have the cash to splash on both a new reel and rod so I would just like to update to a proper reel but ONLY if it will increase my casting distance with the Leeda Riptide.
Any info appreciated and thanks in advance. :)
globulin77
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 17 times

Re: Reel Query

Postby paddyc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:26 am

With good technique you can cast very far with almost any gear,,,
if your old reels are really old then the newer style reels on the market now will only help a small bit but learning better technique will win hands down every time...
Hope this helps...
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND

For this message the author paddyc has received thanks:
globulin77 (Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:19 pm)
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby globulin77 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm

paddyc wrote:With good technique you can cast very far with almost any gear,,,
if your old reels are really old then the newer style reels on the market now will only help a small bit but learning better technique will win hands down every time...
Hope this helps...

Thanks Paddy..........
I generally thought just hoof it out with all your might was the thing to do.
Guess I will have to read up a bit and do some practise.
Still wondering what reel to buy as I definatly need an upgrade, don't really want to go in blind.........

Thanks again........... :)
globulin77
SAI Bait Ball

Postby paddyc » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:15 am

If you can get your hands on an Abu Mag Elite (the green ones) they are fairly safe and reliable, you can pick them up fairly cheap,, prob 50-60 2nd hand.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND

For this message the author paddyc has received thanks:
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby kstaff » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:10 am

Just to note that rod is designed to be used with a fixed spool reel so to make the best use of it look to buy a suitable fixed spool reel.
60 eur will get you a reasonably good quality one and remember to use light line 12-15lb too which will also help with the distance.
Most tackle shops will set you right.
Blue n White is the new Black!!!

For this message the author kstaff has received thanks:
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby MAC » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Most importantly, from a fishing perspective, don't worry about distance for all round fishing. Very often the flat fish and Bass (if in your area) will be close in. You only need to put a bait a big distance for certain species or certain venues. A 2 or 3 hook flapper 20 to 70 yards out should cover 90% of your fishing.

Kevin
><º> ><º>

><º>

For this message the author MAC has received thanks:
globulin77 (Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 pm)
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby globulin77 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:43 pm

paddyc wrote:If you can get your hands on an Abu Mag Elite (the green ones) they are fairly safe and reliable, you can pick them up fairly cheap,, prob 50-60 2nd hand.

:) I'm pretty good at messing up with a fixed spool. Think a multiplier might be just a step too far just yet but thanks for the suggestion..... :)
globulin77
SAI Bait Ball

Postby globulin77 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:45 pm

kstaff wrote:Just to note that rod is designed to be used with a fixed spool reel so to make the best use of it look to buy a suitable fixed spool reel.
60 eur will get you a reasonably good quality one and remember to use light line 12-15lb too which will also help with the distance.
Most tackle shops will set you right.

Thanks for the tip. I always used 18 to 20lb, probably much too heavy for my needs............ :)
globulin77
SAI Bait Ball

Postby globulin77 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:46 pm

MAC wrote:Most importantly, from a fishing perspective, don't worry about distance for all round fishing. Very often the flat fish and Bass (if in your area) will be close in. You only need to put a bait a big distance for certain species or certain venues. A 2 or 3 hook flapper 20 to 70 yards out should cover 90% of your fishing.

Kevin

Cheers for that Kevin............... :)
globulin77
SAI Bait Ball

Postby globulin77 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Saw these online at Veals....

Grauvell Zenith X5000

£81.70

or..........................

Mitchell Compact LC 8000 Gold

£49.98

Anyone know if they would be suitable to take a hoof of a six ounce weight ???
Want to get one or the other before the weekend.
Thanks in advance........... :mrgreen:
globulin77
SAI Bait Ball

Postby The Austrian » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:01 am

globulin77 wrote:I always used 18 to 20lb, probably much too heavy for my needs............ :)

precisely, you've said it yourself, stick to 10-12 lb and your casting distance will increase drastically, what species are you going for anyway, tope? :mrgreen:
Anyway, I suggest you buy a decent FS reel (stay clear of these fancy multies for the time being :lol: ) in a size you feel comfortable with and, that is very important now, which is balanced to your rod. Bringing the rod to a shop with you might help a good deal, and don't be tempted to over spool the reel it with far to heavy line (what's your target fish?) - and then you have a winning combination.
If you want to go the mail order route, make sure you don't go overboard either, a size 50-80 reel is more than adequate for your needs. Hope that helps and tight lines!
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein

For this message the author The Austrian has received thanks:
globulin77 (Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 pm)
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby globulin77 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 pm

The Austrian wrote:
globulin77 wrote:I always used 18 to 20lb, probably much too heavy for my needs............ :)

precisely, you've said it yourself, stick to 10-12 lb and your casting distance will increase drastically, what species are you going for anyway, tope? :mrgreen:
Anyway, I suggest you buy a decent FS reel (stay clear of these fancy multies for the time being :lol: ) in a size you feel comfortable with and, that is very important now, which is balanced to your rod. Bringing the rod to a shop with you might help a good deal, and don't be tempted to over spool the reel it with far to heavy line (what's your target fish?) - and then you have a winning combination.
If you want to go the mail order route, make sure you don't go overboard either, a size 50-80 reel is more than adequate for your needs. Hope that helps and tight lines!

Thanks for all the info. As it turns out still haven't got the reel. This weekend for sure. I will check out exactly what size 50 - 80 means and have about €100 to spend on it.
Yep, I think I was always OTT regarding tackle. Too heavy, hooks much too big etc.......
Thanks again for the tips...................... :D
globulin77
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Casting