bearings

Fri May 11, 2012 8:18 pm

i fitted some abec 5 bearings inyo my mag elite pro and put a drop of yellow rf in each its lovely and quiet but seems a bit slow will it get quicker with use or should i use thinner oil ? or none?the reel has a brass bullet and no block,s or holder so is mags only :roll:

Re: bearings

Fri May 11, 2012 8:54 pm

normally you need to flush the bearings first roger with some lighter fluid to remove any grease in em, then when they dry just give em 1 tiny drop of oil each

Fri May 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Roger,
Agree with Denis. If you're not sure after flushing and adding a drop of oil, wind magnets on/ close to spool as possible. Spin and the spool with a fill of line (for fishing) will probably only spin for 5 or 6 seconds max maybe less. Wind the mags off and it should spin for a min or so. for casting mine are 7-8 secs mags on and 90secs mags off approx. For fishing I slow things to 4 seconds mags on and 30 seconds off roughly. Fast reels are not for flapper baits and a headwind but Im not sure if it is for fishing or casting. Do bearings run in.... well maybe a little but if you are to trust genuine "abec 5" then there should be some consistency in what you've bought and only very minor changes should occur. My experience of bearings is that some do run a little different after cleaning and casting for a few months but the mag setting changes very very little. Just clean them, find a safe setting and they should stay safe for a long time once the reel is looked after.
\paul

Sat May 12, 2012 1:30 pm

lol i never cleaned em first :lol: :lol: :lol: no wonder they are slow :lol: