E1000 - two Perspectives

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

E1000 - two Perspectives

Postby JPS » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:37 am

Well Mick and I decided that we needed to get out and do some practice on the field so headed down to South Barwon reserve, the weather was good from a casting perspective with a west/south westerly wind however we weren't able to take advantage of this as the filed is both overgrown in areas and still carrying way too much water on it to make casting easy. Therefore we had to content ourselves with a cross court wind to avoid the mud, water and long grass.

Both Mick and I were working with the Century E1000 , Mick's being 13'6" and mine a shade over 13' as I mentioned previously I prefeer a shorter rod. Leads were the 175 gram and considering the wind and direction that was the most logical choice both from a practice perspective as well as a wind fighting weight. Reels of choice were the Daiwa 7HT mags with a few monor mods on the spool to make them a little faster.

Casting initially wasn't good for me as I had a few crack off which were never to be found as they sailed into the swamp and reeds at the back of the field. Mick was casting well and posted a number of casts into the 210+ range though he still felt that he wasn't hitting them right. After warming up and thinking about my style a little I decided that I needed to change the stance and turn timing and this seemed to give me a bit more time to hit the lead better.

Here is a video clip of most of the casts that we got off today , suggestions & comments welcome as usual.

http://youtu.be/IvGZJVODyJk
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Re: E1000 - two Perspectives

Postby dondu » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:31 pm

I haven't tournament cast for more than ten years but I'm hopeing to get back into it once I get my reels sorted out . In the mean time I've looking at the youtube clips for tips in technique and so now, I never had the benifit of watching slow motion casters in action before and its great for learning purposes. I've just one question at the moment regarding the clip you put up .At 4.06 whats happening with the cast, it looks like somekind of kickback . Is this a good thing or not? I have noticed it happens alot in other casters clips as well sometimes to the extent that the caster nearly loses balance.

Mark
dondu
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby StevieR » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 am

That is the rod unloading, or recovering. Modern tournament rods esp the likes of the E1000 that Jeremy and Mick are using in the clip, have very sharp recovery compared to rods of 10, 15 years ago.
StevieR
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby JPS » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:52 pm

As Stevie has pointed out this is the recoil of the rod and is more noticable when the caster has come into the cast to fast and isn't fully balanced to absorb the shock . as we know that for each output of energy there is and equal and opposite one.

The thing to make sure is that you have your feet positioned to provide the maximum balance and centre of gravity from which to hit the rod . I see a lot of casters with their feet way to close which does not allow good balance, I suffer from it as well when I don't step correctly.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Postby dondu » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:40 am

JPS wrote:Hope this helps :mrgreen:

Yes thanks.
Just wondering,next casting clip could you use a Celine Dion number or maybe Westlife instead of Metallica as the background music ?

Mark
dondu
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby JPS » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:45 pm

will see what I can do :mrgreen:
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Casting