Tapered Shockleader

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Tapered Shockleader

Postby The Monk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Tapered Shockleader i have been using is Daiwa tournament clear and recently not making the standard as it breaks about a foot above the knot when put under pressure, never used to happen before. Any other quality lines out there boys, much appreciated.
Tralee Bay Sea Angling Club www.traleebaysac.org
The Monk
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Tapered Shockleader

Postby MC » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:18 pm

when using any tapered shock i normally cut a few feet off so it starts in the thicker stronger line, otherwise i use standard shock leader, using suffix at the minute, it does the job
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Postby scannerman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:36 pm

never had any confidence in daiwa shock leaders much less tapered types

the narrowness at the thin end too much an inbuilt weakness, they are'nt permitted in tournament casting anyhow

ultima powertex is a great leader

penn tuff stuff another

sakuma standard shock is also pretty ok and very subtle, although not as hard wearing as the above

ultima powertex also comes in a tapered range from 50-70lbs so if your dead set on tapered it would probably be a good choice

varivas also do a tapered shock which comes highly recommended although i recon you'd be hard pressed to find in a tackle shop, its available online however at veals
Last edited by scannerman on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
only reel men cast!

species 017-zziplex M5, ZZIPLEX FT, Harrison P3 torrix

http://www.youtube.com/user/distancefading
scannerman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby cathald » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 pm

I've been using both the Daiwa tapered and the Ultima tapered and find them both grand
I normally cut of the first few feet as has been said.
I find the Ultima in yellow good to spot when night fishing
2011 species so far
coalfish,plaice,dab flounder,turbot,sea trout,thornback ray,pollock,ling,mackeral

One day.. Facebook, Youtube, Myspace and Friendster will come together as one. It will be called, FookYouMyFriend.
cathald
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby roooster » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:34 pm

without doubh the varivas taipered leader is miles ahead of the rest & as posted above,i think veals are the only gang that have it....
roooster
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby AG » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:40 am

tapered leaders are to short for low reel casting so far to dangerous , you have to tie a knot anyway so just use proper laeader material , ultima powerflex , penn tuff stuff etc . trilene gold is very good but very rare ,
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby evan699 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:54 pm

The Monk wrote:Tapered Shockleader i have been using is Daiwa tournament clear and recently not making the standard as it breaks about a foot above the knot when put under pressure, never used to happen before. Any other quality lines out there boys, much appreciated.

I don't know anything about the tournament casting and all that. But if your using it for fishing like me, to keep the knots and line as weed free as possible then i find bullet tapered shock leader to be good and not too expensive. Also i've found the daiwa to be ok with first few feet trimmed off.
Species 2014: whiting, coalie, pouting, codling, pollack, ballan wrasse, dab, poor cod, mackerel, grey gurnard, conger, ling, cuckoo wrasse, launce, common skate, bass, scad, garfish, blue shark

Species 2015: Ballan wrasse, poor cod, pollack, ling, flounder, turbot, mackerel, whiting, lsd, dab, grey gurnard, pouting, cuckoo wrasse, cod
evan699
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby red » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:15 am

if im using tapered leader i get the varivas 18 to 70lbs, their 13metres so plenty long enough. lost the last leader last night to a snag, the 15lb mainline snapped so at least i know they knot pretty well. just need to get more now :evil:
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby JOHN LYNCH » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:02 pm

The Monk wrote:Tapered Shockleader i have been using is Daiwa tournament clear and recently not making the standard as it breaks about a foot above the knot when put under pressure, never used to happen before. Any other quality lines out there boys, much appreciated.

What strenght mainline are you using? if it is stronger than lighter end of the tapered shockleader then the leader should break first (at the knot), make sure than you lube the line well when tieing on the leader.

What knot do you use to tie on the leader? I always use the blood knot when using tapered shock leader.
JOHN LYNCH
Inactive

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby The Monk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:45 am

Cheers for all the replies guys, looks like ill be using up what i have of the daiwa tournament by by cutting off a few feet first before testing out the tapered vavarias or ultima powertex, then ill see how my knots hold up. Thanks again.
Tralee Bay Sea Angling Club www.traleebaysac.org
The Monk
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby JonandDave » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:28 pm

I know from a thread on another forum that tapered shockleaders are banned on any casting tounament and you must also have 8 turns on the reel with to drop set to max, for me if it aint safe on the field its not safe on the beach, a trick Dave Docwra taught me, t he picked up in the far east from people who make up rigs all day every day, was to use a drop of cooking oil to lubricate the knots, (they used pal oil but any ve oil will do) and really tighten them down with pliers on the tag end and then, as the knot is so tight and small you can blob the tails right up to the knot, the blob helps stop and slip and keeps you free of weed... stronger, safer, and shed loads cheaper than buying leaders and with practice, no worse than the knot you have to tie anyway with a tapered one. Expensive to crack off and loose a tapered leader plus line, plus all your terminal tackle...why risk it?

Cheers

Jon
JonandDave

Postby AG » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:17 pm

JonandDave wrote:I know from a thread on another forum that tapered shockleaders are banned on any casting tounament and you must also have 8 turns on the reel with to drop set to max, for me if it aint safe on the field its not safe on the beach, a trick Dave Docwra taught me, t he picked up in the far east from people who make up rigs all day every day, was to use a drop of cooking oil to lubricate the knots, (they used pal oil but any ve oil will do) and really tighten them down with pliers on the tag end and then, as the knot is so tight and small you can blob the tails right up to the knot, the blob helps stop and slip and keeps you free of weed... stronger, safer, and shed loads cheaper than buying leaders and with practice, no worse than the knot you have to tie anyway with a tapered one. Expensive to crack off and loose a tapered leader plus line, plus all your terminal tackle...why risk it?

Cheers

Jon

spot on advice 8)
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby bigsod » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:36 pm

The blob knot gives a nice compact little knot, I use it with 70lb powerflex and its both safe and not a weed magnet. Ive had a few bad experiences with tapered shock and wont use it anymore.
Fire in the belly, ice in the veins
bigsod
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 179 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby JonandDave » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Another thing on the safety front is I know Dave Docwra is big on is not using swivels for the load bearing links to the rig and lead, as he says you the only way you know how stong a swivel actually is would be to test is to destruction, so always use oval rings and a Uni link clip, great for quick changing traces, stops sand abraiding the knot to the lead on retrieve and is far safer.
JonandDave

Return to Casting