Remember the legend Dave Docwra? found him:)

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Remember the legend Dave Docwra? found him:)

Postby JonandDave » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi All, new to the forum, couple of people from here mentioned I should join, hi Jay:) there was a string last august about "Dave Docwra the legend", don't know how much people knew but Dave had a really bad time with his health around 2005 and many of us thought he had not survived, any way a long story cut short, he did make it and is very much alive. Major heart and lung problems as well as colon cancer, he is one tough bloke!

Dave and I were 50 50 partners so I wasn't comfortable doing or selling anything till I tracked him down last year, (this was after quite a few people had started asking if they could get hold of the casting further video he and I shot way back around 1997). Dave was due to start collecting his pension a few weeks after we caught up again, so I have spent the last months bringing spreading the word about Dave's return and trying to create a bit of income for a man who gave this sport so much. We have also built in a donation to the British Lung foundation. I am working my way round the forums where people have asked what ever happened to him or had links to clips that are off-line now so just spreading the word re lots of unseen material and new clips. We are soon to be shooting new stuff too as mag reels were not really mainstream when we made the original. As I shot it all to broadcast standard at the time it still looks good, and all the better for not going anywhere near a vhs tape:)

There were links posted here to 3 clips that "Frank Butcher" kindly pirated and put on you tube, bit cheeky:) so we had to put a stop to that as the music copyright had expired if nothing else. We since did a lot of work refreshing the orginal and adding lots more to it.

Anyway main reason for posting was to say that Dave and I also worked on quite a few clips that are now on you tube which many have found really helpful, Just search for Dave Docwra surfcasting further on youtube, I think we have 10 or 11 up now, there is also a great tip re making bait stops again just search for Dave Docwra bait stop, its a fine example of Daves Fishing brain at work.
Cheers Jon and Dave
JonandDave

Re: Remember the legend Dave Docwra? found him:)

Postby AG » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 am

a true legend , i remember fishing beside him in the imasa winter festival back in 19?? , and talking to him about casting , himself and his pal paul kerry were over fishing that comp for the first time ,
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby Jayball10 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:13 pm

JonandDave wrote:Hi All, new to the forum, couple of people from here mentioned I should join, hi Jay:)

Ah ya made it, nice one. Welcome to SAI.
The way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly...
Jayball10
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 120 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby JonandDave » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi Jay:) Dave sends his best to you all, he was fishing today, as he said "its what pensioners do" its great he his able to.

I had a nice PM asking if I could put the clips on the forum, so going to do a quick test, I assume I just copy the youtube link to a post? Do you guys have a gallery, very happy to put all the clips we have on here if someone want to tell me whats the best way, also if anyone has any requests we are shooting new stuff soon so any suggestions are welcome guys, much better we make stuff that people really want to see Dave take on.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d7cPiku5aRc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FBssrXGniIM

Thanks for the warm welcome

Jon and Dave
JonandDave

Return to Casting