Switch to full style
A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.
Topic locked

Painting leads

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Lads was hoping to get back out casting now the evenings are gradually starting to get brighter. Was thinking of painting my leads cause I cast on a beach and trying to find a grey lead in grey sand is a nightmare as I'm sure you know. Was thinking of using some kind of luminous or florescent paint. Is this wise? Is there any special paint anyone can recommend. Any other tricks for retrieving leads after crack off's? I don't want to tie anything to the lead or use anything that will restrict the distance of the cast.

Cheers.

Re: Painting leads

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Painting lead won't work, well it will for a short period of time, but in the long run it's pointless. Lead needs to be powder coated, I buy my powder coating from spotty dog http://www.spottydogtackle.com/contents/en-uk/d262.html

Can't help you with regards to crack offs I'm afraid, don't do much casting, my crack offs usually disappear under water :lol:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Jayball10 wrote:Lads was hoping to get back out casting now the evenings are gradually starting to get brighter. Was thinking of painting my leads cause I cast on a beach and trying to find a grey lead in grey sand is a nightmare as I'm sure you know. Yes i think have all been there,,, Was thinking of using some kind of luminous or florescent paint. Is this wise? Is there any special paint anyone can recommend. No point in painting them as they will dig in when they land so they still wont be visible. Any other tricks for retrieving leads after crack off's? The only thing you can do is use hi-vis leader, pick one that contrasts with the colour of the beach, field,,etc. Although even saying that sometime it still is a nightmare to find the odd one
I don't want to tie anything to the lead or use anything that will restrict the distance of the cast.
For practice alot of guys use hockey balls (drilled out and mounted on 12inches of 100 or 200lbs mono with a large strong swivel at the top) or a large sliding float on a lenght of the same mono with a lead link at the bottom.
Cheers.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:17 pm

i have these yellow tubertinni weughts they should do the job
Topic locked