Switch to full style
A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.
Topic locked

A place to cast?

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:37 pm

Looking for a place to get back into the swing off casting, I dont really want to be traipsing down to the beach just to be practicing my casting.
Anyone know off a good field or sum thing similar for me to go on Sunday and test my new rods and reels

Re: A place to cast?

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:46 pm

killiney beach or bray harbour which you can drive onto are only a few minutes from you, and you wont look out of place :wink:
i dont think the walkers in cabinteely park would be to happy to see you :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Don't know if you would get away with the pitch in St. Laurance's college. But as already posted Killi ney beach would be the safest place.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Yeah I'm only a few mins away from kiliney beach, just wanted go sumwhere where I could pace out my cast. Wanted see roughly how far I was casting.
Prob's just go to the beach tmw nite and throw a few wild swings at the sea. Will just lie to myself in the dark and add on a good 50 yards :)

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm

if you do a good cast bring an indelable marker and mark your line, and bring your reel for a walk down to the park and pace it out simple as that :wink:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:28 pm

Or if the beach is deserted, cast along the beach and pace it out. :D

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Sandymount strand!!! it was the home of the big hitters many moons ago. Loads of room here to go mad with your casting, and you can pace it out. :wink:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:36 pm

paul mason wrote:Sandymount strand!!! it was the home of the big hitters many moons ago. Loads of room here to go mad with your casting, and you can pace it out. :wink:

if you get your tides right :wink:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:07 am

the back feild of shankill gave yard is were i practice my casting there are no walkers and you can drive strate to the feild and theres is loads of space up the for the occasional crak off ha ha :lol:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Why not pop up to the casting meet on Sunday sparkie, don't think you will find a better place

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:32 pm

dennis i think it would be a bit intimidating trying out new gear with a loadove carbon junkies looking at you ,its bad enough when you know them :lol: :lol: bray harbour is my favorite spot a good southerly and your crackoffs go miles :oops: where ever you go just beware as a good crackoff will go miles more than a humdinger so allow for 200 or so yards more than your average cast :wink:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:06 pm

dbrock wrote:Why not pop up to the casting meet on Sunday sparkie, don't think you will find a better place

As Dennis said you can pop up this sunday as a day caster (more than welcome),
our court is accuratly measured down the the inch.

But where ever you go, please read this: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27329

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:47 pm

Just went to kiliney beach for a few casts, was bloody windy as hell. And was a real big surf.

It went ok tho, no crack offs and only one small nest. I even managed to fire a few down the beach and pace it out, was doing 160/180 each cast.

Was real pleased with myself, not casting a sea rod in 8 years. Plus using a new rod and 2 new reels which to be honest wer working great, just need get the hang off using the mag reel's now! Any tips and hints will come in great.

So hopefully i can get out again this weekend in the day light and practice sum more. Just dying to get sum rigs and sum bait and start fish in for real!

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:20 am

paddyc wrote:
dbrock wrote:Why not pop up to the casting meet on Sunday sparkie, don't think you will find a better place

As Dennis said you can pop up this sunday as a day caster (more than welcome),
our court is accuratly measured down the the inch down in Kerry.

But where ever you go, please read this: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27329

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:02 am

Sparkie wrote:Just went to kiliney beach for a few casts, was bloody windy as hell. And was a real big surf.

It went ok tho, no crack offs and only one small nest. I even managed to fire a few down the beach and pace it out, was doing 160/180 each cast.

Was real pleased with myself, not casting a sea rod in 8 years. Plus using a new rod and 2 new reels which to be honest wer working great, just need get the hang off using the mag reel's now! Any tips and hints will come in great.

So hopefully i can get out again this weekend in the day light and practice sum more. Just dying to get sum rigs and sum bait and start fish in for real!

with a few more practice sessions you will prob be hitting 200 or 220 feet :D
Topic locked