Multiplier or Fixed spool.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Does anyone use their multiplier for spinning with lures etc or is a fixed spool the preferred reel of choice for this. If anyone does use a multiplier, would they use braid or stick to the mono. Also, what would be a good rig setup for casting light lures, spinners etc. Thanx for any advice.

Re: Multiplier or Fixed spool.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:25 am

flyno, i suspect the majority of anglers in ireland use the fixed spool for spinning and plug work, because of ease of use

multipliers are great for such activity but require experience to harness the best from them, for inexperinenced users a level wind is nearly always critical, but level winds also inhibit casting distance, even temporary release types

braided line has its own problems, has virtually no memory, will knot in an instant and is liable to embed itself deeply if left unchecked

on the up side, braided line has amazing strength even at very low diameter and unlikely to break even if the lough derg monster swallows the bait

i know a couple of pike anglers who use braided line for spinning using a fixed spool and they swear by it

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:55 pm

flyno wrote:Does anyone use their multiplier for spinning with lures etc or is a fixed spool the preferred reel of choice for this. If anyone does use a multiplier, would they use braid or stick to the mono. Also, what would be a good rig setup for casting light lures, spinners etc. Thanx for any advice.

fixed spool plus good mono line will do for the start, and later braid :wink:

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:26 pm

thanx for the replies, i suppose trial and error. see what works.