Casting distance vs. physical effort

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:52 am

Hi Guys,

I've a problem that I hope won't be too much trouble for you to help me with. Basically, the scenario is this. Depending in what I'm fishing for and where I'm fishing, I use either an ABU Rocket or a Grey's G-Mag 7 multiplier. I pair the ABU with a Grey's BZE, and the G-Mag with a Conoflex Maverick. Most of the time, I can cast exactly as far as I need to; in fact, I probably over-cast a lot of time.

Sometimes, though, I want to power the lead out a fair distance (100 yards plus), and when I do, I put a good bit of physical effort into the cast. Every time, the result is almost always the same: I get the mother of all bird's nests and, usually, a crack off--even when the brakes on either reel are screwed down as tight as I can get them. Clearly, I doing something wrong here, but I can't figure out what it is. Looking at the casting distances that competition casters get with multipliers, I'm pretty sure it's not the reels, which leaves me as the problem in this equation.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here? I've been using multipliers for a long time, so the issue isn't that of a novice mucking about without a clue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Lodore

Re: Casting distance vs. physical effort

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 am

a video of yourself or a meet up in person to see what is goin on is the only answer and cure :!:

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 am

The smoother your cast the less chance of crack offs and birds nests. Ive had to work on my cast a lot because it was jerky and my timing was wrong which lead to crack off after crack off. Look at some of the vids of AG on here, smoothness and power personified.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:05 pm

lodore wrote:Hi Guys,

I've a problem that I hope won't be too much trouble for you to help me with. Basically, the scenario is this. Depending in what I'm fishing for and where I'm fishing, I use either an ABU Rocket or a Grey's G-Mag 7 multiplier. I pair the ABU with a Grey's BZE, and the G-Mag with a Conoflex Maverick. Most of the time, I can cast exactly as far as I need to; in fact, I probably over-cast a lot of time.

Sometimes, though, I want to power the lead out a fair distance (100 yards plus), and when I do, I put a good bit of physical effort into the cast. Every time, the result is almost always the same: I get the mother of all bird's nests and, usually, a crack off--even when the brakes on either reel are screwed down as tight as I can get them. Clearly, I doing something wrong here, but I can't figure out what it is. Looking at the casting distances that competition casters get with multipliers, I'm pretty sure it's not the reels, which leaves me as the problem in this equation.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here? I've been using multipliers for a long time, so the issue isn't that of a novice mucking about without a clue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Lodore

Hi Lodore,
It would do you no harm in any way to meet up so that someone can help you with you casting because a jerky power stroke can cause blow ups for sure. I wouldnt write off reel problems though because you need to have a reel setting that can cast bait into headwinds without blowing up and I'm not sure how you are getting on in those type of conditions. I know you have said that you are not a novice with multipliers but just in case you should check the following
- is there oil/grease/anything else on the brake blocks. They might need a good cleaning and drying. If they are wet/greasy tightening them down wont solve the problem, they just slip. This is a problem I have with millionaire 7hts(old one).
- have the bearings been cleaned at all or is there a few drops of medium grade oil in there
- what is your line level like, the reels hold a lot of line so try reducing the level to 75% full
- are your spools centered if not you are in trouble!
- try to wind your line on relatively even beacuse miscellanous humps in a full spool can cause problems quickly too.
-I havent used the Gmag but I would be curious to know how long the spool spins for with full mags on with a full spool of line taped. It should only be for a short time for tough fishing conditions( for reference my casting reels spin for 8 seconds with mags on for field work although some people like reels a lot faster)
Hope this helps in some way and good luck with it.
\Paul

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks a million for the replies lads; they're most useful. Paul: those guidelines should be printed up an included in the box with every multiplier sold! I'll definitely look over the kit using your advice. Bigsod: I think the jerky cast might certainly be the issue here; it's when I put a thump into the rod the problem always kicks in. AG: I don't have a video, but one of the lads from the site is taking a fishing holiday in my part of the country, and he's offered to look over my style. So, with any luck this will get sorted!

Thanks again,
Lodore

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I haven't cast with an overhead thump with a multiplier other than a gentle cast, otherwise I'm sure it would blow up.
This style of cast applies full power too soon, and in a jerky manner.
Get down to a casting club day and you will pick up a lot of tips.
With the right technique a plain lead can be easily cast 170,180 yards with very little effort at all.

As for your casting distance vs physical effort topic title, it's more how you use the effort.

Even on the casting field when people generally tend to give it everything, a few minor changes to technique can make the difference in a lot of metres/yards.

Do a youtube search for John Holden casting. Also Tommy Farmer has some good instructional videos up too.

Are your casts cracking off at the very start before they barely get away, or blowing up a second or two in?

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:56 pm

StevieR wrote:I haven't cast with an overhead thump with a multiplier other than a gentle cast, otherwise I'm sure it would blow up.
This style of cast applies full power too soon, and in a jerky manner.
Get down to a casting club day and you will pick up a lot of tips.
With the right technique a plain lead can be easily cast 170,180 yards with very little effort at all.

As for your casting distance vs physical effort topic title, it's more how you use the effort.

Even on the casting field when people generally tend to give it everything, a few minor changes to technique can make the difference in a lot of metres/yards.

Do a youtube search for John Holden casting. Also Tommy Farmer has some good instructional videos up too.

Are your casts cracking off at the very start before they barely get away, or blowing up a second or two in?

Cheers Stevie. For what it's worth, the reel blows up about 1 to 2 seconds after the cast--often when I think I've got away with it. Any thoughts?

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:19 pm

not enough braking

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:26 pm

What andrew said combined with maybe dodgy line lay.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:53 pm

This is an interesting subject. Some good info here thanks people

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Is it possible to cast 150yrds+ with a fixed spool reel? Presume i'll need to learn the pendulum cast to achieve these distances but do i need to learn how to use a multiplier aswell???

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:15 am

Yes it is possible to cast well over 150 yards with a fixed spool reel. No need to pendulum cast either. Off the ground works very well if done right (so I'm told!).

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:34 am

Tony Fella from this site is a fixed spool nut and casts over 150 yards using fixed spool reels and an overhead thump, most long rods are designed to go along way with just an overhead thump.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:34 am

Tony Fella from this site is a fixed spool nut and casts over 150 yards using fixed spool reels and an overhead thump, most long rods are designed to go along way with just an overhead thump.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:41 pm

sod tony is a nut ,who uses fixed spools,normally a different one every time he fishes in fact normally a different rod too :lol: