Casting 11th July Lancefield Australia

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Casting 11th July Lancefield Australia

Postby JPS » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:50 am

Well the day started with a surprise after Saturday’s wild weather and strong winds, this morning dawned with clear skies, little to no wind and no sign of rain to dampen our enthusiasm.

Driving to the field started to show promise with the wind starting from the north and showing signs of picking up, also the sun was out and it was that clean clear air that casters look forward to. This however was short lived as the drive started getting into the hills towards the property. The fog rolled in, it started drizzling and the sight of the field was something to see :shock: :shock: , and even worse to try and drive on. It was fortunate that I arrived first as I opened the gates to be greeted with a water logged field and after the 4X4 stopped sliding through the gate :oops: , I hoped that it may clear further up toward where we should have been casting from. To say that I was lucky to get off the field was a mild understatement :?
Knowing that it would be impossible for us to cast on I had to make a few calls to confirm if we could access another field , fortunately we were but it was down in the valley and had limited angles once again brought about by the waterlogged fields.

Eventually the guys came down with Gus, Luke , Peter, Nick and eventually Mike who came sliding in after a while finding the new location. We also had a new face turn up after also driving around for 1 1/2 hours trying to find the new place, Sorry Geoff but no mobile reception down there :(

Casting was a fun affair with Luke and I deciding that we needed to know how far we were getting with our fishing outfits and full rigs ( Pulley rig with grapnel sinker, twin hooks and bike tube to substitute for squid strips) Rod of Choice were Century Kompressor S matched with Penn 525M for Luke and I started with the Century Kompressor S as well but matched with the Daiwa SL30SH running 4 break blokes to make the reel fail safe for my night session.
Best distances for Luke was 148 meters which was ahead of mine ( 136+) with the Daiwa, not wanting to be out cast I decided to switch to my Century Tip Tornado super match and Penn 525 Mag with a final distance of 161.6 and all of these cast were with a cross court wind .

Luke also had his new Century FMJ made up with a very sweet Mittagi grip :D , Chromed guides and very neat binding job. He had this paired to a few top flight reels in the Daiwa Certate 3500HD custom, and also a 4000 (not sure of the correct model ) as well as casting it with Gus’s Emblem Pro.
Distance with this outfit was and 100 gram was 160.4 meters - sweet light outfit and both of us are looking forward to putting it though its paces on the water.( My daughter Samantha is making up one for herself & I have just ordered one for myself)

Getting back to the casting, the day stayed overcast and had very damp air with no carry at all. Still the guys did excellently with Gus hitting a new PB with the TTLD and Emblem Pro combo and Nick taking a sweet 156 meters with his old Conoflex and ABU 6500 CT. Peter also did well with a 142.76 cast as well. Young Geoff who came down well also put down a good cast of 90+ meters :D and was really starting to get the Threadline outfits he had ( Nitro Messiah and a Predator rod matched to a Daiwa Windcast 6000 and another reel I can’t remember ) going sweetly with a simple off the ground cast. Geoff also wanted to look at the rigs that Luke and I used for targeting Sharks from the beach as he is headed over to S.A shortly.

Final results were as follows.

Luke 100 gram FMJ 160.4 meters
125 gram KS 173.63 meters
150 gram KS 186.41 meters
175 gram baited rig 148 meters :D
Mike S 125 gram TTLD 169.13 meters
Peter 150 gram 142.76 meters :D
Nick 150 gram Conoflex 156 meters :D
Gus 127.17 TTLD :D
Jeremy 175 grapnel Baited rig 161.6 meters
175 gram TTR 219.04 meters

Not great weather but still a fantastic day out with a great bunch of people :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roll on the next event

P.S Video Footage to come, sorry only Gus was taking photo’s so we have to wait till he post them up
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Re: Casting 11th July Lancefield Australia

Postby scannerman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:44 pm

great casting with fishing rigs jp and considering you also had cross winds to deal with...

get a big fish at that sort of distance and it'll be fun and games

might try it myself, since i'm planning to get out fishing pretty soon, although the last time i'd attempted to pendulum with a baited rig, the rig went one way and the bait-the other

its a good idea none the less
only reel men cast!

species 017-zziplex M5, ZZIPLEX FT, Harrison P3 torrix

http://www.youtube.com/user/distancefading
scannerman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 87 times

Return to Casting